Strange Question...

Discuss the triumph or heartache of not having more children, and the struggle to make that decision.

Moderators: JennyK, nomore, dwtegli

Strange Question...

Postby Proudmama » Aug 10, 2006 9:15 pm

OK, so this may sound a bit strange but I have a question. I have not had time to really read much about T/L, etc. but I was wondering if any of these procedures can be reversed? I know that DH and I are done having children (due to pregnancy complications, HG etc.) but I hate the fact of having something that cannot be reversed done to my body. DH is getting a vas but I am scared that it might not work. Birth control pills make me nauseous and I do not want that again. I would be willing to have a T/L but only if there was a chance it could be reversed. I know it sounds strange but just knowing that I still have a choice in the matter somehow makes me feel less restricted in making my own decisions in life.

Thanks for any input
Jamie
DS born 2004-HG (Week 6-Week 20)
DD born 2006-HG (Week 5-Delivery)
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 10, 2006 9:25 pm

Technically, sterilization can be reversed, but it's very difficult and very expensive, and even after that there's still the possibility that it won't be successful. If you have doubts that you could be happy with sterilization, don't do it. Ask your doctor about good, long-term birth control. In a few years, you may be ready to commit to sterilization, or you may be thankful that you have the option of another pregnancy.

I had my tubes closed after Reilly, and I get around wistful thoughts of more babies by remembering that there's a .2% failure rate for the procedure I had done. I figure that if we're meant to have another, there's plenty of opening there for God to maneuver in! :P
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Reversing a tubal ligation works somewhere between 20-60% of the time and generally costs $15000-30000. Otherwise, you can bypass it by doing IVF.

I think we're done, but I'm not comfortable with anything permanent at this point and maybe never will - that includes not wanting dh to get a vasectomy. I have an IUD and it does everything I need right now - very effective, is reversible, and doesn't easily allow me to do anything stupid and not use it during weak moments of baby longing.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Proudmama » Aug 10, 2006 9:42 pm

Pamela,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to talk with my Doctor at some point regarding options. I am just so upset at the thought of having the options of pregnancy out of my hands. I do agree with your words that if God intends more babies, He will allow it to happen. Those words do comfort me.

Thanks Again
Jamie
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby Proudmama » Aug 10, 2006 9:46 pm

Aimee,
Thank you for your reply as well. I am comfortable in DH and my decision not to have any more children but somehow it still hurts. I guess it just goes back to the fact that I am a very stubborn and do not like the thought of having something that cannot be reversed done to me. I do think I am going to wait a year or so and not make any quick decisions. DH is definitely having the vas done but as for me, I am unsure what to do at this point.

Thank you for taking the time to reply
Jamie
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 10, 2006 10:25 pm

I know the idea of being comfortable with your failure rate. I keep thinking about switching to a different kind of IUD, but I don't, partly because the other one works TOO well. It would be such a disaster if I had an oops pg, but I still find comfort in the fact that it's at least within the realm of possibility.

Crazy!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Proudmama » Aug 11, 2006 7:28 pm

Aimee,
Oh, I so needed to hear that am not alone in my feelings about this...

Thank you so much.
Jamie
Proudmama
Master of HG

Return to No more for me!?