Reglan and depression

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Reglan and depression

Postby dbarr » Feb 22, 2005 8:39 pm

Just want to share my experiences in case they might be helpful to someone else.

I had awful depression when I took Reglan during my second trimester. I attempted to take Zoloft, but found out that w/ Reglan, the antidepressant doesn't have time to absorb b/c the Reglan pushes everything through the system so quickly (This per the psychiatrist I ended up seeing). So it appeared that the Zoloft wasn't working, when in fact the problem was the Reglan.

I felt like I was going through withdrawl tapering off the Reglan - and stopping Reglan suddenly can be dangerous.

I ended up taking Axiphex, which worked well for the remainder of my pregnancy and didn't interfere w/ the antidepressants. Also, no problems when I stopped taking the Aciphex suddenly when my little one was born.

It was bad enough having to explain HG and defend myself regarding all of those symptoms. Having to deal with and explain the depressive symptoms was just icing on the cake. And I'm a social worker who is familiar w/ and able to articulate depressive symptoms. I was always so self conscious, as if I came across as a hystroinic, hypochondriac.

I wish I could have captured the look on my son's pediatrician's face when I listed all the meds I had taken during my pregnancy. The guilt is and was terrible. Even now, this bothers me, as I'm planning for my second pregnancy and reliving all of this.
dbarr

Postby meg » Feb 23, 2005 8:13 am

I'm sorry that your son's pediatrician wasn't more supportive. My kids ped is a DOLL. He has a good friend who suffered from HG and he understood that the meds were necessary for my health and therefore, the baby's health.

Reglan can contribute to depression and cause a myriad of other unpleasant side effects. I have taken Reglan in various forms and doses for almost my entire pg this time and for a significant length of time in my 2nd pg as well. For me, the negatives were outweighed by the fact that Reglan was the most effective drug in treating my HG! I do not take antidepressents but I know that Reglan is not compatible with many drugs. Fortunately for me it works well with Zofran!

I am not familiar with Axiphex, but if that works for you, try that as a first line of defense in your next pg. You have to find what works for you and weigh the benefits and the risks and make the best choices you can with what you're given. You can't blame yourself for being sick or needing treatment.

Good luck with you in your decision to have (or not have) more children. I think knowledge is the best weapon against HG and there is so much knowledge the ladies here can share. Do take advantage!
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby Janehh » Feb 23, 2005 1:22 pm

You know, I just realized after reading many of the posts here about Reglan that it probably caused my near-nervous breakdown during my last pregnancy. It came on so suddenly, and was unlike any depression I've experienced in the past, and the drs reaction was to put me on antidepressant but no one even considered the reglan piece. They were all familiar with my history of depression too. It just shows that you REALLY have to keep yourself informed about this stuff--a whole staff of professionals can miss something really obvious. Scary!
Jane
2nd hg pregnancy
Due 5/16/05
Janehh
Been There Done That

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG