Can you take Zofran and Reglan together?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Can you take Zofran and Reglan together?

Postby cygnusgirl » Nov 26, 2004 11:35 am

Hello everybody, I'm new to the boards, and was just wondering if you can take zofran and reglan together. They were not prescribed together and by the same doctor, so that's why I am asking. I was taking zofran with mediocre results b/f my last hospital visit, and then was prescibed Reglan this last time. I just wanted to make sure its ok to take both. And also, did anyone ever throw up when they took Reglan by mouth? I did yesterday, and I'm kinda afraid to take it again, but maybe it was just a coincidence?

Also, has anyone not been able to take suppositories? I feel so weird, as I get this extreme pain and burning with them and cramping also.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Allison
cygnusgirl

Postby emily » Nov 26, 2004 4:14 pm

Hi there,

I took oral zofran and oral reglan at the same time. I had no benefit from the Reglan. Also, people can have very bad problems with Reglan as far as causing mental disturbances, so be careful with that drug!

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby Janehh » Nov 26, 2004 4:55 pm

Allison--
I have thrown up just about all the meds at one time or another, but I think that they can still help the rest of the time. So I don't think that throwing it up once means it won't work.
I would push for something else since the suppositories are so miserable. There are other options--IV's, sub-q pump--so there is no need for you to keep adding to your misery! You have enough already!
I don't know about taking the 2 meds together; probably fine but I would check with a pharmacist or doctor.
Good luck,
Jane
(prego with hg #2)
Janehh
Been There Done That

Postby HGx3 » Nov 27, 2004 10:25 pm

I took them both together as well. Welcome to the board!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Nov 28, 2004 6:13 pm

Yes, I also took Reglan and Zofran together (along with steroids and Phenergan, I think). If Reglan works for you, I say to stick with it! There are people who have allergic reactions - but if you aren't one of them, then it's worth a good try.

Good luck to you! I hope you find some relief...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby Kristie » Nov 29, 2004 5:50 pm

Hi Allison. I don't know about the Zofran but I took Reglan orally and threw it up every time. I had the Reglan pump in my leg and it decreased the vomitting a little. It basically just stopped me from throwing up every 5 minutes. I wouldn't say it did anything great for me but it did allow me to make it through the day. You may want to ask for the pump if you are having difficulty holding everything down. It sounds like most people have more luck with the Zofran. Good luck and hang in there!
Kristie

Postby meg » Nov 29, 2004 11:41 pm

Allison,

I have just weaned off of a Reglan pump onto Reglan pills and I have taken Zofran since before starting the Reglan in any form. So yes, you can take them together and in my experience it seems to make each more effective than either is alone. I know that most women seem to have better results with Zofran than Reglan, but I am the odd duck who responds better to Reglan. I know it has the possibility of some unfortunate side effects (Depression being a biggie, although what woman with HG isn't at least mildly depressed?) but frankly, the insomnia and constipation with Zofran have caused me much greater suffering. I think the key is just to find the right formula for you. Good luck.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies