reglan questions

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

reglan questions

Postby elizgay » Dec 03, 2004 2:18 pm

Hi there,
My midwife prescribed Regaln yeterday b/c my Zofran isn't that effective. I was just reading about everyone's expereinces and I am now a little nervous about taking reglan. I have a history of mild depression and have been on Paxil for years now. I am definitely more depressed now with hg (shocking), but on the rare occasion that I feel physically OK, I am emotionally fine. Also, the prescription I have is for the pills and it seems like everyone else is on the pump. Are folks on the pump b/c they can't keep pills down or is there another compelling reason for the pump? I think I am going to get my prescription filled, but hold off on taking the reglan. Any input would be wonderful. Thanks!

12 weeks and counting.
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

talk to your doctor about the Reglan again

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 04, 2004 2:05 am

Elizabeth,

If you have a history of depression, then you are (as you've read) at higher risk for side effects from Reglan. Please discuss this with your doctor. And if you do take it, don't take the first dose alone...just to be on the overly safe side. (I hallucinated... :shock: )

You may find it's a fine treatment for you, but the depression history is definitely reason to be concerned and extra cautious. Let us know how it works out.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby bibliojo » Dec 05, 2004 3:30 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I took Maxeran (which is the Canadian name for Reglan) with my pregnancy in the pill form. At the time I wasn't aware that you could get it via a pump. I also wasn't aware that it caused depression. I was depressed during my pregnancy but I just attributed that to having HG (who wouldn't be depressed being that sick???) I will say though that Maxeran did help take some of the edge off though and stopped me from vomitting constantly. I still threw up but it just wasn't as often. I'm planning for my second pregnancy now and I am considering taking it again when the HG hits just because it was the most effective thing that I tried. However, I didn't try alot of other drugs such as Zofran. I would agree with Suzanne and recommend that talk to you doctor just so at least you have peace of mind in regards to your treatment.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby meg » Dec 05, 2004 10:09 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I agree with the other ladies that you should definitely confer with your doctor regarding your concerns over possible depression side effects. As a lay person and something of a Reglan queen I can offer you my personal experience. This is my third pg and my second pg with Reglan. I have taken it orally and via pump. My second pg I took Reglan orally for about three months along with Unisom/B6. The only side effect I suffered was diarrhea. It was fairly intense, but not as dangerous as the dehydration and constant vomitting I suffered without it. My third, and current pg, my doctor tried Unisom/B6, Phenergan and Zofran. I got sicker and sicker. When I finally started the Reglan I was in such a cycle of nausea and vomitting that I couldn't keep the oral Reglan down. For eight weeks I had the Reglan pump. The pump is considered more aggressive because it slowly metes out small doses of medication 24 hrs a day. It also requires some level of home health care. I am now weaned off of the pump onto the Reglan tablets again. I also take Zofran ODT which seems to increase the effectiveness of the Reglan for me. I admit that I felt better on the pump than I do with the tablets but I would caution that the pump has its own side effects. I developed large knots at each and every infusion site which were painful and itchy. Eventually there was no where in my legs to put in I new site I was so bruised and lumpy. I had to switch to my arms (my husband got to play nurse) and switch the site every 24 hrs. The same problem cropped up in my arms and eventually I had to wean off due to the allergic reaction I was having. All in all it was quite a hassle! With this pg my only side effect with the tablets seems to be fatique, although its hard to say which is the HG and which is the Reglan. No diarrhea, but I think that the constipation associated with Zofran is slowing that down. :wink: What crazy things we openly discuss when in the throws of hg! Overall, I would say that the Reglan is the most effective drug for me and I am able to tolerate the side effects because for me the alternate (uncontrolled hg) is worse. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

thanks for the replies

Postby elizgay » Dec 08, 2004 2:15 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for your replies! I have the filled prescription for Reglan, but I haven't taken it yet. I see my midwife this week, so I am going to discuss it with her. I've been OK on the Zofran, so I've just been continuing that. I have to say that the most attractive thing about the Reglan right now is the idea of loose stools -- I am so tired of constipation with Zofran! I am sure I'd get tired of the opposite, too.
Elizabeth
Mom to Elias, 2
EDD 6-14-04
elizgay

Postby bibliojo » Dec 08, 2004 5:05 pm

Hi again,

Just thought that I might mention that even though I took Maxeran (Reglan) I still had a problem with constipation. However, I don't think it was anything like what these poor women who take Zofran have to deal with. My doctor just gave me Colace and after a couple days everything sorted itself out. I'm wondering though if HG naturally causes constipation because we aren't eating and drinking much (if anything!) Anybody know?

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

RE: Constipation

Postby adelmaal » Dec 09, 2004 4:51 pm

I have not tried Zofran or Reglan but I know Phenergan relieves the whole constipation issue - LOL. I can barely wait to go after putting in a suppository. I make sure I do it at around 5:00a. My husband brings it to me in bed and I somehow manage to go back to sleep until 7:00a. Then it's not so bad but I still am able to go regularly when I get up in the morning and it has prevented the majority of my nausea and vomiting. Phenergan does not give me the sleepies like so many other women though. I guess it's all a matter of trial and error and finding the combination that works for you.
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Postby jjbeck » Jan 11, 2005 2:19 pm

Has anyone tried motilium instead of reglan? I mean those that do not live in the US.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby meg » Jan 11, 2005 9:27 pm

Elizabeth,

You had a new post on this thread and in reading it I came across my post to you. In the interest in giving you full information, I am now finding that Reglan does cause depression for me. I am going to start trying to wean myself off of it. Also in the interest of full information, I have taken Reglan for 14 wks or so now and the problem has really only surfaced over the past two weeks. All in all I'm still not sorry that I took it.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby bibliojo » Jan 11, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi Jen,

I haven't heard of motilium...what is it?

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby jjbeck » Jan 11, 2005 11:04 pm

Motilium ( domperidone) is simular to reglan in that it helps to increase motility in the GI but does not have the side effects that the reglan does. It is available in Canada but not the US.

Here is a link :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Jan 12, 2005 1:26 am

Thanks, Jen! This sounds promising. I'll definately be looking into it more!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby jjbeck » Jan 12, 2005 11:14 am

Unfortunatly the FDA does not seem to be at all close for approving this med.
I have been trying to get a hold of it as I have been wanting to try it for years for gastroparesis.
I have a script for it, if I am able to get it, I will let you know how it works in compared to reglan.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Getting Domperidone

Postby jschwab » Jan 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Dear Jen,

Domperidone happens to be the drug of choice for moms with BF supply issues and they order it from overseas all the time. I belong to a listserv belonging to MOBI (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues) because I had supply problems in my last pregnancy. It increases prolactin levels like Reglan (I took Reglan) thus increasing milk supply.

I will find out where you can get it from - I almost ordered it after my daughter's birth. I think you just call and pay with a credit card and they ship it. It's not illegal.

Janine
jschwab
Been There Done That

Postby jjbeck » Jan 16, 2005 5:15 pm

Yes, I have a script myself for the motilium ( domperidone) though have not gottent the med yet. I have had supply problems as well. There is a list of phramasists that will compound it for you. As well you can get it in Canada, but I know they are trying to put a stop to that on the Canadian side, or at least it has been mentioned. One of my docs mentioned getting meds from New Zeland, you do not need a script of domperidine to get it from there, I dont think. You can go to www.kellymom.com for more info.
I also have gastroparesis and it works for that as well...the same way it works for HG. It is also used in horses.
Did it work well for your supply?
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby jschwab » Jan 16, 2005 5:36 pm

I don't know if this info is also on kellymom.com but here is a website with lists of US pharmacies that will make it up for you with a prescription along with international sources. I have asked my BF ladies for advice on taking it during pregnacy but haven't heard back. I'm wondering if it will influence its effectiveness if I take it afterwards. If anyone knows, I'd sure be appreciative of the information. I am wavering about taking it for the nausea but a positive on the BF side would make it more appealing.

www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidonewhere.shtml

Janine
jschwab
Been There Done That

Postby jschwab » Jan 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Well, I thought I'd just add what I found out from the breastfeeding ladies. They didn't have specific recommendations for a domperidone supplier. Both women felt Reglan was less harmful during pregnancy due to domperidone causing contractions. It sounds like a tough call to me.

Janine
jschwab
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies