Gravol

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Gravol

Postby izhak » Jan 03, 2005 7:16 pm

Does anyone out there take Gravol? If so, I assume that it is as safe as Stematil since they are both class C.

Is there a reason why no one seems to metion Gravol?

My wife is currently on Gravol. With IV it is 50mg at 100 ml/hour. Takes 10 hours for the 50mg. Also every 8 haours there is Maxeran. Stematil was used at one point, but now they are using Maxeran.

Zantac is used for the heartburn.
izhak

Postby bibliojo » Jan 03, 2005 10:35 pm

I know that there are a couple other Canadians on this site going through HG (or have recently gone through HG) that take Gravol. I think the reason why you don't read anything about Gravol is that it goes by a different name in the states. I believe that it is called Dramamine (correct me ladies if I'm wrong). The generic name for this drug and gravol is the same (dimenhydrinate) and I believe that it is a Class B drug, not a Class C. At least that's what I've been told.

Hope this helps.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby meg » Jan 04, 2005 8:13 am

Izhak,

I have read your posts in some other areas and you and your wife have my sympathies. I'm sorry to but my nose in, but I do want to offer some unsolicited advice. You mention that your wife does well in the hospital and then quickly gets sick at home when she decreases her meds as told. I think you really need to convey to the doctor that she needs the meds to function. You also mention that once she starts getting sick she can't keep the meds down and you have to head back to the hospital. Be sure to convey this to the doctor. I know it should already seem obvious to him/her, but make certain anyway. The pattern that you describe is very typical of hg and many women on this site, myself included take meds for many, many weeks. Some take meds until a few days postpartum! I personally am about 23 weeks pg and I have taken meds since week 5. Also, you said a doctor from Australia mentioned Zofran and the nurses said they don't give that to pg patients. I take Zofran as do many of the women here. Perhaps you could inquire about Zofran again. Many women find it to be somewhat miraculous.

Good luck. I have good thoughts for you and wife and baby.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies