Ginger

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Ginger

Postby bibliojo » Jan 14, 2005 5:45 pm

Has anyone gotten results from taking ginger tablets? Did you take them prior to ttc or did you start once you were pregnant and had NVP? What dosage did you take? Just curious.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Jan 15, 2005 10:55 am

Joanna,

I took ginger for this past pregnancy, from week 3 (before i Knew I was pregnant, due to nausea already starting, until about week 6,when I started having trouble keeping oral meds down.)

I took up to 1000 mgs a day, but usually ginger 350 mgs 2 times a day. It worked great in the beginning, for more "normal" ms, but once HG set in, it gave me terrible heart burn, and really didnt help too much (more aggrevated, b/c of the heartburn).

I feel like there wasnt much I didnt try this last time... zofran, steriods, phenergan, bendryl, ginger, b6, unisom, 24 hour hydration, meclizine, sea bands.... sadly nothing worked well enough to keep my head out of a bucket and vomting even for PART of the day :( This time I lost nearly 20 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks.

I am currently looking into chinese herbal meds, as my neighbor is a Dr in this field. I am hoping he can come up with some ideas on balacing my horomones and helping my liver function properly.

Truthfully, I think a large portion of my HG problems are from my liver not being able to handle all of my mega strong horomones. I had a lot of pain in that area this past pregnancy also.

Have you looked into Milk Thistle and/or Dandeion Root? (both help liver function). They will be a major part of my new and improved protocol to TTC again. This time I am not being so optimistic, with my head in the cloud that it will be better.

Love me
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jan 16, 2005 8:07 pm

Robin,

Thanks for the information. I think I will try ginger but if it starts to make me sicker rather than better I think at that point I will discontinue it. Did you consult your peri about the ginger? Did he happen to mention any side effects to it? Motherisk mentions on their website a study in which "Animal studies have shown ginger to be a potent thromboxane synthetase inhibitor; it could affect testosterone receptor binding and sex steroid differentiation in the fetal brain." What exactly this means I am unsure.

I'm so sorry that nothing worked for you this past time. My heart breaks for you at what you've been through. :cry: I do hope that you will be able to find something to lessen the nausea and vomitting a bit for the next time. 20 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks -- that's alot of weight to loose in such a short time! I know with Madison you were sick until after you delivered but did you have any time of the day when you felt okay or was it sick all the time, every day?

I also want to let you know that I'm here to help you in the recovery process, and when you feel ready, to plan once again. If there is ANYTHING I can do, please let me know. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

HUGE HUGS,

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Jan 16, 2005 9:30 pm

Joanna,

My Peri suggested the Ginger. We didnt discuss the risks. He has has sucess with it before. I have to add my Peri was AMAZING. Very considerate and came in on his days off to see me (as opposed to seeing the other Drs in his practice).

Ginger can be great- dont rule it out. I have actually read that you can get the HB becuase your body is "rejecting" any more of it.

(Yes-- my body is a freak of nature :) )

We talked about all of the meds before we TTC, and didnt really dicusss many risks while I was in HG hell.

Gotta run, but will talk more later.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies