Steroid question

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Steroid question

Postby sickmama » Jun 06, 2004 10:38 pm

Does anyone know how early it is safe to start a steroid treatment? I started at 16 weeks when I was pregnant, but know I could have started earlier. Now that I'm starting to think about ttc again, I am wondering how long I have to suffer! I had heard 8-10 weeks, has everyone else heard the same?
Karen - HG Survivor
Mother of Miya Laurenza, born June 5, 2003 - severe HG until 16 weeks, then mild HG until delivery
Siena Michaela - due July 16, 2010 - mild HG 5-16 weeks, medically fluffy since then.
Blog: http://hgkaren.blogspot.com

"Courage is not about being unafraid, it is being scared, and doing it anyway!"
sickmama
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 23, 2004 12:03 pm

Hi, Karen! Yep, I've heard the same. I think they wait until that point to allow the palate to form, as the steroids can cause cleft palate. I believe the conservative thinking is after 12 weeks. You could definitely start them earlier than 16 weeks, though. :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Started steroids at Week 6

Postby Mar2 » Jul 02, 2004 7:34 am

Karen -- Getting to this a little late, but thought I should mention I started steriods at Week 6 (if memory serves me correctly) and stayed on them until 10 days post-partum. And, fortunately, my little girl, who is just a week older the Miya, is perfectly healthy. We were of course worried about the slight increased risk of a cleft palate. Fortunately, the many ultra-sounds we had reassured us that everything was OK so we could stop worrying by about 17 weeks ;)

Best of luck with TTC and your decision about steriods.
Marla
------------------------------------------------
HG PG 1: miscarried at 16 weeks 3/18/2002
HG PG 2: baby girl 5/29/2003
Step-Son: born 11/26/1990 (acquired May 1997)
Mar2
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies