If Zofran doesn't work, will anything?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

If Zofran doesn't work, will anything?

Postby MTL » Jan 22, 2005 9:45 pm

Hi, I'm new to the boards. I am 11wks pg. I am sick every waking moment. I have tried taking zofran up to 8mg every 6 hrs, and it doesn't touch it. If this doesn't work, will anything else? My dr seems to think that because zofran is the "strongest" that nothing else will help. I have tried phenergan, but all it does is knock me out, and I can't function that way either. I have a child to care for all day, and am finding life almost unbearable. :(
MTL

other options

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 23, 2005 12:02 am

Hi MTL,

Welcome! Congratulations on the baby, and I'm really sorry about the hg.

Zofran is often the magic pill for a hyperemetic woman, but not always. It didn't work at all for me, not at all. Zofran isn't necessarily "stronger" than other options; it's just often very effective in a lot of cases.

I've noticed folks here combining Zofran and Unisom/b6, something I didn't ever hear of until this fall. If I were pg, I'd try combining them. You may want to run that by your doctor. Also, depending on how you are doing, phenegran and steroids become an option. But the idea that nothing else can work if Zofran doesn't is simply not correct.

Maybe you can print out the protocols and this link for your doctor. http://www.hyperemesis.org/mothers/trea ... ations.php

((Hugs)))

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby HGx3 » Jan 23, 2005 1:58 am

Hi and welcome!

Zofran didnt work for me either, and my ob combined it with just about everything. I was pretty much unresponsive to treatment. The only medication that gave me just a little break from constant vomitting was reglan.I had it administered iv,im,subQ and po. I took it all 3 pgs. Most people dont have success with it due to some rough side effects...depression(which didnt matter, I was depressed anyway from the hg) and anxiety issues. Now, it just depends onhow your body reacts. I had bad panic attacks while taking it, but they can be countered with benadryl and I also took it in conjunction with phenergan cause that would knock me out/sedate me. Have you read the post on treatments and meds in the new to forum folder? It has lots of good info.
Hope you find something that works!!
Last edited by HGx3 on Jun 14, 2005 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby danimomof2girls » Jan 26, 2005 5:35 pm

I hate to hear that Zofran isn't working for you. If it makes you feel better, it didn't help me all that much either. I had it via a SubQ pump last pregnancy and it still didn't work. I, like Lisa, had it mixed with almost every drug to expand its effectiveness, and still, nothing:( I know this is hard, but just because Zofran isn't working does not mean you won't survive the pregnancy. I had to have TPN's (Total Parenteral Nutrition) via a Hickman Cathetor in my chest. It did wonders for my nutritional needs and hydration. I still puked every day, but at least I knew the baby and I were both going to be healthy in the end. I suppose my point is that although it can seem overwhelming, you will survive!!! Just keep a close eye on your hydration and don't feel like you're bugging the doctor if you have concerns. HG can be scary, but you'll be so happy when your cuddling your little one! Just try to stay upbeat and take it one day at a time. You'll get through this!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Postby mammaclare » Jan 26, 2005 9:01 pm

Have you considered steroids? They are generally deemed safe after the 10 week mark and some people have amazing results on them. I would look into the thread on the 2nd tri board called "another amazing steroid experience" and take that information to the doctor with you.

Also, if you thought it may help, you can try breaking the 8mg tabs in half and taking it every three hours. Or, you can opt to try a pump that delivers the Zofran continuously.

Hope that helped at least a little...
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby mammaclare » Jan 26, 2005 9:02 pm

Sorry--I lied. The steroid thread is in THIS folder! A few down from yours....
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Jan 26, 2005 10:15 pm

danimomof2girls wrote:I know this is hard, but just because Zofran isn't working does not mean you won't survive the pregnancy.

Very well said, and soooooo very true!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby sonie716 » Mar 11, 2005 5:25 pm

I know that zofran worked for me. It did not curb nausea but i stopped vomiting which was my big thing.
Casondra
Wife to Chris
Calvin 06/03 severe Hg
Angel in Glory 11/04
Catherine Moderate Hg 05/07
Carolynn Mild Hg 01/09
Chloe Mild Hg 03/10
Miscarriage 08/12
#5 due Aug 2013
sonie716
Been There Done That

Postby cygnusgirl » Mar 12, 2005 6:14 pm

Hello,
I seem to be like you, my docs all try and get me to keep taking Zofran, talking about it like its a miracle drug, but it has done absolutely nothing for me! I know you said you tried Phenergan and it knocked you out, but Phenergan has been my "miracle drug". Your body does get used to it though, at least for me, and the drowsiness completely went away once I started using it for a couple of days regularly. If it helped you at all, it might be worth trying again, if you can. Also, Reglan seemed to help a little, but not as great as the Phenergan.
Baby #1
Nathan Anthony Sculli Jr EDD 7/14/2005
Severe HG since week 5
cygnusgirl

Postby LandonsMama » Mar 14, 2005 8:17 am

Hi, there! HG sucks, huh! I am 15 weeks with my second HG pg. My 1st pg, Zofran was a miracle drug but with this one, things have been a little more difficult. My Dr. finally hospitalized me a couple weeks ago for four days and basically starved me for a few days and then put me on the zofran pump. So far the pump has really helped...I still have some nausea but I can actually function and take care of my little boy again. They also tried Reglan with me and I couldn't stand the side effects...but it was very helpful with the nausea so you might give it a try. There are definitely more options out there though so don't get discouraged...just convince your Dr. to look into things a little more or find a new Dr. if he/she won't. Hope things start going better for you soon!

Erin
LandonsMama

Postby Knitmama » Mar 16, 2005 9:41 am

Zofran works for me to stop the vomiting, but it doesn't touch the nausea. I have had infinitely more success with unisom. I also take Phenergan at night, which helps me get through my worst time and still get some rest.
Rachel
Mama to Abigail
#2 due in October!
Knitmama

Postby pippa » Mar 16, 2005 12:17 pm

Zofran worked, but only for a week before I started non-stop vomiting again. I'm having better luck with Kytril... still nauseous, but not throwing up nearly as much. But gah... it's so expensive it makes Zofran look like generic antibiotics, so if you don't have Rx coverage, it might not be an option. The full price for a 10-day supply is over $800 here.
~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02
Bug 8.10.03
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby Kariinbliss » Jun 13, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi. I'm sorry Zofran didn't work for you! I am having a similar problem. I was just released after 2 days of IV fluids and liquid diet in the hospital, with Anzamet and Zofran (both) given every few hours. I was still throwing up. Now I am home with Compezine, and that isn't working either. I still throw up everything, even water. What can I do? The doc is thinking about putting in a PICC line, but I just can't take the constant nausea and vomiting anymore! I have 2 kids, and am 9 1/2 weeks along with this one. Oh yeah, HG with all 3. Anybody have any ideas???
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby pippa » Jun 13, 2005 8:51 pm

Kariinbliss wrote:Hi. I'm sorry Zofran didn't work for you! I am having a similar problem. I was just released after 2 days of IV fluids and liquid diet in the hospital, with Anzamet and Zofran (both) given every few hours. I was still throwing up. Now I am home with Compezine, and that isn't working either. I still throw up everything, even water. What can I do? The doc is thinking about putting in a PICC line, but I just can't take the constant nausea and vomiting anymore! I have 2 kids, and am 9 1/2 weeks along with this one. Oh yeah, HG with all 3. Anybody have any ideas???

For me, the Kytril reduced the vomiting enough that I could keep some food and fluid down. Others have also had great luck with Vistaril, which worked on both the vomiting and the nausea. Compazine didn't do one bit of anything for me, neither did Phenergan.

Did anything work for your previous pregnancies?

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00 - severe NVP
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02 - normal NVP
Bug 8.10.03 - normal NVP
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05 - HG for something different
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Re: If Zofran doesn't work, will anything?

Postby missyparker » Jun 13, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi. I am new to this board also. My doctor tried zofran on me starting at 4 weeks. It didn't work until they got the vomiting under control by a hospitilization and home care. AT first it was administered through an IV at home and after about 7 or 10 days my vomiting became under control after that i took the 8mg tablets about every 4 hours and towards the end of the pregnancy i was down to the 4mg tablets. It didn't take away the neaseau but it definately worked with the vomiting but only after it was given through the IV. I had to take it the whole pregnancy. My daughter was not affected by it at all. My first pregnancy was 4 yeasr before this one and zofran was not available isuffered through that one God only knows how i did that. I hope this helps you and good luck with your pregnancy.
missyparker

Postby sujatah » Jun 14, 2005 10:40 am

Hi. I just wanted to add my two cents here.Zofran only works for me if taken with Reglan and the Unisom/B6 combo.I have tried taking each medication individually and together and only a combination of all 4 together seem to work for me. The vomittings reduced but the nausea remained untouched.
Sujata
HG pg no 1 08/28/01 darling son Aahan ivs only
HG pg no 2 Aarav 07/17/05 ivs , zofran, phenergan, b6,unisom,reglan,pepcid
sujatah

Postby Kariinbliss » Jun 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Hi there. I don't remember what worked with my second pregnancy, it was 11 years ago. It was a combination of things, though. Crazy thing is, I FEEL better without the meds, I just throw up more. With the meds, I throw up less, but am tired and nauseated too. Does that make sense?
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby Kariinbliss » Jul 07, 2005 6:42 pm

Ok, this is so way too late for me, but just wanted to throw in that my back-up doc found what meds I had been on all those years ago. Zantac and Reglan. It really worked. I'm just upset that they didn't check my old records earlier. Hope this helps somebody.
5x HG mom to:
Amy... born 1/20/92
Melissa... born 2/13/95
Alex... returned to heaven 6/20/05
Angel... watching from heaven 2/2/06
Peanut... safe in the Father's arms 4/24/06
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

LIQUID CHLOROPHYL

Postby KellyWaltonJones » Aug 16, 2005 4:29 pm

Hi,
I am on week 5 of my 2nd pregnancy and the HG is already kicking in again. I was on zofran my entire last pregnancy. I had heard that liquid chlorophyl, taken with water, a few times daily, eases the nausea. I have tried it twice already but haven't noticed anything yet. Has anyone heard of this liquid chlorophyl working? THANKS!
KELLY WALTON-JONES
mother of Kylie born 11/29/2003
KellyWaltonJones

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies