Zofran and Low amniotic fluid - connection?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Zofran and Low amniotic fluid - connection?

Postby SusanElder » Feb 07, 2005 4:15 pm

HI All-

I have been gone from the borads for quite sometime. All is going well for me except for this hickup that I have now hit. I am 33 weeks and our baby is measuring 2 1/2 weeks ahead of schedule and already a full pound to pound and a half ahead! Yeah -

Last week though we were told that the amniotic fluid around Jared is low. Still with in normal limits but very low normal. They are now having me come in weekly to do an ultrasound and no stress test on him. I know my dr is being cautious and I really appreciate that.

What my husband and I are wondering is if anyone knows if Zofran could cause this? I still take 8mg twice a day and it works WONDERFULLY! I also have a half liter each night of IV fluids with my vitamin mixed in. I can fully function now as long as I don't over do it. I still am not released to work and won't be until next school year, I am a teacher. We just wondered if there possibly could be a long shot connection. We are just trying to understand what might be causing this all of a sudden.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.
Susan
EDD 3/26/05
Susan

Lost #1 10/15/03
TTC in July '04 and praying things are different! Update: We are pregnant! I am due March 26th!
SusanElder

I Also Responded To Your 3rd Tri Post

Postby adelmaal » Feb 07, 2005 4:56 pm

Susan:

I had low amniotic fluid with my son starting at 35 weeks. The only thing I took when pregnant with him was Phenergan for the HG and some type of antibiotic for a bladder infection early on. The doc did take me off work on disability and put me on bedrest. She told me I needed to drink lots of fluids as well. I went in 2x weekly for ultrasounds and fetal stress tests and everything turned out just fine (I delivered naturally at 39 weeks 3 days). I was glad they monitored it so closely.

Other things I remember about my pregnancy were that I had allot of personal stress (due to my husband leaving when I was 7 months pregnant) and job related stress. So, I don't know if stress could have contributed to it at all. I'm sure I did not eat and drink as much as I should have since I tend to forget to do those things when I'm stressed. I did not vomit nearly as much with that pregnancy as I had in my previous one though.

Take care and try to take it easy...
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Postby nomore » Feb 09, 2005 11:08 am

Hi,

I personally do not feel there is a connection, as I had the OPPOSITE problem! They said I had a very LARGE amoutn of aminotic fluid. I was on zofran from week 7 until delivery.

I hope things get better and wish you a healhty remainder of your pregnancy.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » Feb 09, 2005 2:47 pm

rdevine10 wrote:Hi,

I personally do not feel there is a connection, as I had the OPPOSITE problem! They said I had a very LARGE amoutn of aminotic fluid. I was on zofran from week 7 until delivery.

I hope things get better and wish you a healhty remainder of your pregnancy.

Robin

This was my experience as well. I had my water broken and they just could not believe how much fluid and it just kept coming through my entire labor.

EMily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby km976 » Feb 12, 2005 9:26 am

I also took Zofran.

My water broke at home. Lots of fluid!

But after arriving at the hospital and being there for a while they did have to pump in additional fluid.

I don't think there is a Zofran connection there, I was just in labor for a long time.
km976

Postby Trina » Feb 13, 2005 4:06 am

Dear Susan,

About two weeks ago i had my 19 week scan and i'm also on Zofran 2mg (reduced meds) per day... They found i had low amniotic fluids... Nothing severe, but low. The next day i was booked in to see my professor at the hospital and asked a million questions... One of which was "was zofran the cause of the low fluids"... Her answers was that some anti nausea medications can cause low fluids but not zofran.. It was just one of those things... So i too thought there was a connection because my first pregnancy i also had HG, but never knew about Zofran... Now i'm on Zofran and had low fluids... On Wednesday i'm going to have another scan and hope the fluids are up... They say as long as the baby is growing in proportion to weeks and the fluids are in proportion then there isn't anything to worry about... But if the fluids are severely low then that usually means there is something wrong with the baby's kidneys and isn't producing enough urine etc... I did the wrong thing and went on the internet searching for what low amniotic fluids meant.. I was shocked and scared when i read things and i was a wreck by the end of reading it all... So to put my mind at rest, i spoke to the professionals who had my reports in front of them... and they put my mind at rest... Yes, fluids are low, but it's nothing to worry about...

Hope that helps... I too now believe there is no connection...

Trina
Kind regards
Trina from Australia
HG Sufferer Twice
1st pregnancy: Beautiful baby girl Hayley 9/2003 (6 weeks - 21 weeks HG)
2nd Pregnancy: (4 weeks - )) Due: 27th June 2005
Trina

Postby sunny77 » Mar 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Susan~

I was on Zofran my during my last pregnancy and here was my experience. At about 34 weeks with my last pregnancy my OB sent me to a Perinatalogist due to nonreactive NST and they decided to take measurements of the babies abdominal and then check again to see if he had sufficient increase over the next two weeks. When I went back two weeks latter and he wasn't gaining weight as he should have been at that point (IUGR) and I was also diagnosed with Olioghydramnios (low fluid levels). Of course since so little is really know about the cause of HG and all the treatments..... they could not determine if these were problems from the HG, the meds or separate issues themselves. They induce me at 36 weeks due to the Olighydramnios. Chase was born at 36 weeks and was 5 Lbs 21 Inches. Other than his being hyperglycemic he was completely healthy. This time around I am 21 weeks and 5 days and I am taking Zofran again. They are watching my fluid levels closely but ultrasound every 4 weeks. Anyway just wanted to let you know about my experience with the low fluid issues, I haven't heard of anyone else with this type of experience before. Congrats on the baby you don't have to long to go now.

Tory
2 time HG Mommy

Chase DOB 08/26/03
Baby boy DUE 07/14/05
sunny77

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies