Alternative to Prenatal Pills

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Alternative to Prenatal Pills

Postby adelmaal » Feb 09, 2005 7:29 pm

I went in to try to get prenatal pills today (finally got up the guts to try stomaching them) only to find out my insurance does not cover them... I was going to try the Premesis ones. Anywho... I wasn't about to spend 25 to 30 bucks on 30 pills I may not even be able to keep down.

So I wandered down the vitamin isle trying to figure out if there was anything that I might be able to take and not throw up or get nauseous from. Low and behold, I discovered VIACTIV's multi-vitamin in tropical fruit splash soft chew form. I looked at the ingredients and found that the big stomach upsetter for me (IRON) is NOT INCLUDED in their formula! B6 and FOLIC ACID are INCLUDED. Better yet, they were only 8 or 9 bucks for 60 soft chews.

I'm not a doctor and I can't say these are as beneficial as prenates but I was able to chew the soft and squishy little guy up, keep it down and not have nausea as a result.

Thought it might be worth mentioning for those who cannot stomach pills or chewable prenates but still want to try to get some vitamins and calcium in you.
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

prenatals

Postby mommy_bug2 » May 07, 2005 1:38 pm

Thanks for the tip.... I too, have a huge problem with prenatals.... Ended up with the gummi children's vitamins for my second pregnancy via my doctor's permission of course.

But was wondering what to take this time.

Thanks again,
Marjie
mommy_bug2
Been There Done That

Postby sickmama » May 17, 2005 12:19 pm

I totally agree that this is a great alternative to prenates! I am currently ttc and can't even stomach prenates now, so I am also taking Viactive muti-vit (chocolate flavor) plus additional B6 and folic acid. I have not had even a twinge of the queesies.

Another thought, I am also drinking a lot of Vitamin Water, which is loaded with all that good stuff. I think it will be a life savor while pg!!
Karen - HG Survivor
Mother of Miya Laurenza, born June 5, 2003 - severe HG until 16 weeks, then mild HG until delivery
Siena Michaela - due July 16, 2010 - mild HG 5-16 weeks, medically fluffy since then.
Blog: http://hgkaren.blogspot.com

"Courage is not about being unafraid, it is being scared, and doing it anyway!"
sickmama
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies