Zofran-only 4 tabs per script

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Zofran-only 4 tabs per script

Postby jazlynsmum » Mar 23, 2005 6:20 am

This is a question for my fellow aussies.Does anyone know why I can only get 4 tablets at a time?Is there a special authority script I could get that would allow me to get a weeks supply at a time?Its hard work having to get to the doctor every 2 days, and with the long weekend coming up, I'm wondering how I'll get by.
Zofran is the only thing that has worked for me, but I am the first patient that my doc has ever prescribed it for, so she is unsure of dosage etc.
My current script is for one 8mg tab per day.I am splitting them, and having 4mg 3times a day.
jazlynsmum

Postby HanJ » Mar 23, 2005 7:35 pm

Well I can answer this for you - the only way the PBS will pay for your Zofran is on the 4 pack. If you want more than that, you will have to pay up to $18 per 8mg tablet for a 10 pack. Maybe you can ask your Dr if they can write up more than one script at a time for you so you dont have to keep going back?

Its a stupid system here in Aus, and after paying the life out of me for the expensive option, I'm going back to the 4 pk option for my last few weeks (i'm 36 wks now) because its SO much cheaper!

Oh yeah, the only authority script that will get you the 10 pk for PBS price is the one that says you have cancer - apparently the govt thinks cancer treatment is good enough for PBS, but leaves us HGers out in the cold. :(
Hannah J.
Joseph age 11: HG 5wks-birth
Ellie age 9: HG 5wks-36wks
HanJ
Been There Done That

Postby JudyC » Mar 26, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi,

I've had 2 HG pregnancies here in Australia. I think what saved my life was having a doctor who didn't mind writing up many scripts of Zofran for me at a time. He would leave the date blank on each script so that my husband could fill that in whenever he went to the chemist. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

As for dosage, I took 8mg twice a day (morning and evening). Any less didn't control the vomiting for me. I would have liked to have taken more, but at 16mg per day, the constipation I experienced was unbelievable. I didn't want to make it worse.

During my second pregnancy, at the 16 week point, my GP prescribed for me Mertazapine. It is an antidepressant (I was severely depressed) and it also has anti-nausea effects. Well, the next day I felt almost 100% better. No more vomiting, and the nausea was almost completely gone. I was lucky!

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I hope you are feeling a lot better soon!

JudyC
JudyC

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies