Reglan question

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Reglan question

Postby jannyjo » Apr 02, 2005 6:48 am

Hi Ladies,

My doc just started me on Reglan and Pepcid and it seems to be working. :D My question is how do you deal with the diareahh (sp?). And does it last the entire time you are on it, or does your body get used to the med and the side effect goes away?

TIA,
Janet
HTH,
Janet
Ma to Tyler 2/93, Eireann 12/01, Gareth 10/03,
Lynnette 8/05 (first diagnosed HG preg)
And our faery children: Rhiannon born sleeping @22 wks 4/00, Malcom @8wks 4/07 and Our Surprise Angel @ 5wks 2/08
jannyjo
Been There Done That

Postby HGx3 » Apr 18, 2005 9:35 pm

Sorry so late to reply, but it should go away, probably has by now, lol.

Is it working for you? If you have any questions about reglan, feel free to email me. It was my primary medication and I have taken it every possible way!!!!

Good luck!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby jannyjo » Apr 18, 2005 11:53 pm

Lisa,

Thanks for your response. Yes, it finally went away. But it the combo only seemed to work for about a week and then it got bad again. We added 1 8mg Zofran at bedtime to the mix and I have *gasp* been able to eat, keeping most of it down, I and actually gained 5lbs back of the 29 lost! I am feeling much better right now, of course whenever I say it, I have a really bad day. The only real issue I have with the Reglan now is some muscle spasms from time to time in my neck. Not every day though, and it will get better at night when I take the Zofran, but not the Reglan (3X per day 30 min before meals).
Oh, to have energy again!
Have you noticed any preterm labor while on the Reglan? I have had quite a few contractions lately. They tend to go away with lots of fluid and rest though. I have a history PTL, and DH thinks that it may be related due to the other muscle spasms that I get while taking it.
Thanks again for responding to me! I appreciate any and all help! :wink:
TTFN,
Janet
HTH,
Janet
Ma to Tyler 2/93, Eireann 12/01, Gareth 10/03,
Lynnette 8/05 (first diagnosed HG preg)
And our faery children: Rhiannon born sleeping @22 wks 4/00, Malcom @8wks 4/07 and Our Surprise Angel @ 5wks 2/08
jannyjo
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Apr 30, 2005 7:40 pm

Janet,

I don't know if this will be entirely relevant or not....

I understand that your Reglan is the same as Australian Maxolon - Metaclopramide. If that's right, then it's the med that I settled to after my Hospital stay and steroid treatment and that I continued taking right to the end.

I had been taking it before the hospital stay and it didn't stop my losing 22 pounds, but while I was in hospital one of the midwives told me to lie down (completely horizontal) for a minimum of 10 - 15 minutes after taking it. I told myself that this was why it worked. I had one feeling good day at about 16 weeks and tried stopping it, but it was a major disaster. I continued being sick until the end, even with the Maxolon (US Reglan?) but from 25 weeks it averaged only 1 sick day a week, which was SOOOO much better :D .

It's very interesting what you say about taking it 30 minutes before a meal. I asked about that and was told that it shouldn't matter. Maybe this time I'll try a combination of the lie down with the 30 minutes....

I had contractions. I couldn't tell you how often or when they started, but I carried Heather to 38 weeks.

Good luck!! :)

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies