Zofran Users?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Zofran Users?

Postby venusjewell9 » Apr 14, 2005 4:26 pm

I'm in week twelve of my first and last pregnancy(twins). I'm on the Zofran pump but I'm having guilt on the possible affects it will have on my babies. I also have guilt that I should've been strong enough to vomit 5-20 times a day and not eat or drink and that I had to resort to a drug. I would love to hear other women's expereinces with Zofran and the outcome of their pregnancies.

I've done a lot of research on Zofran. I've read the post on this site. I've talked to Motherisk about their study on 176 women. My doctor has obviously approved it. I'm just having tremendous guilt over having to use a drug in my pregnancy. I need reassurance that there are other people who've used the drug with success.

Genevieve
mkoesling9@aol.com
venusjewell9

Postby RebeccaM » Apr 14, 2005 4:50 pm

Zofran has been my life saver during pregnancy. I truly believe I could not have mentally made it through my first pregnancy without it. I took it from week 7 to the day I delivered. This pregnancy I started taking it at the first sign of extreme nausea (week 6) and it has made all the difference. You do what you have to to survive HG. Please try not to feel guilty about it. You are doing one of the best thing a mother could do for her babies by taking care of yourself. Nobody is strong enough to vomit constantly and go without food and water for 9 months without severe consequences to their health. Oh, and my little girl from my first pregnancy is a perfectly healthy 19 month old. And I'm sure many others will chime in here with similar results after using Zofran.
Congratulations on twins!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby Marie » Apr 14, 2005 6:16 pm

Hello. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Here is my opinion about Zofran...

Dehydration from vomiting, and throwing off all of your electrolytes is far more dangerous than taking a class B drug throughout pregnancy. I have been on Zofran in both of my HG pregnancies. My daughter is a happy, healthy, and smart 5 year old. I will be taking Zofran till I deliver this one as well.

Take care of yourself and your lil ones.
Best Wishes,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby Beth B » Apr 15, 2005 7:57 pm

I took Zofran from about week 6 - the end of my 5th or 6th month in my first pregnancy, and I'm on it again in this one. My son is healthy and wonderful. I too was (and am) anxious about medications, but there wasn't any other choice - dehydration, etc. is MUCH worse for Baby. Your babies will be wonderful, too - do what you need to for survival!!
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby sonie716 » Apr 16, 2005 9:12 am

I will agree with the rest of the ladies. I was on zofran in the iv at two months until 7 months then zofran dissovables until i delivered. I also belive it was my life saver, i had been in the hospital five times in 1week and a half. The combination between the iv and the zofran saved me. I had no veins left to poke at. My son is 21 months old and the happiest kid around, it is amazing that my son survived on rice and zofran and turned out so good. Your child will be just fine.
Casondra
Wife to Chris
Calvin 06/03 severe Hg
Angel in Glory 11/04
Catherine Moderate Hg 05/07
Carolynn Mild Hg 01/09
Chloe Mild Hg 03/10
Miscarriage 08/12
#5 due Aug 2013
sonie716
Been There Done That

Thank you

Postby venusjewell9 » Apr 16, 2005 9:47 pm

Thank you for the responses!!! I'm having a bad couple of days so I really need and needed the encouragement and reassurance!!
Genevieve
venusjewell9

Postby teddi » Apr 19, 2005 8:09 pm

Genieve,

Congrats on your babies. I used Zofran in both of my pregnancies (as well as Reglan, Zantac, Phenergan, Compazine, Tigan, and Anzemet). As far as we know, and there's a lot of anecdotal evidence- it is safe. I know it's hard not to be concerned- but truly if any of these drugs showed evidence of being teratogenous- we'd let you know! All three of my beans are healthy. I will say, that I think the inadequate wt gain did hurt my health and IMO contributed to my girls low birth weights, so be proactive as you can about getting calories & vitamins in you. Carrying twins does put more of a strain on you & I think makes nutrition all the more important. Looking back, though I did have a PICC (I didn't w/my first), I wish I had insisted on getting more calories in me (I developed HELLP which is linked to poor nutrition).

As your pregnancy progresses it's just imperative you do WHAT YOU NEED TO, to stay as well nurished & hydrated as possible. Inadequate wt gain put you & your twins at higher risk. Saying all that- DON'T feel guilty. What can you do? If it was within your control to turn the HG off, you would!!! What you CAN do is research & look for the most effective treatment options. This is your first pregnancy- and getting hit w/HG is just such a shock. I'm glad you found these forums.

I read your other post about E. Noble's book "Having Twins". I was utterly disappointed to read her 3 sentences on HG. Way to make us feel like absolute failures, thanks. What actually irritates me more is that she cites a 2- 3% (Doing this by memory) chance of getting HG. Then goes on to say virtually nothing about it. Yet.... later on...she goes into much more detail about conditions that affect (by her stats) about 1% of multiple pregnancies. Then of course, she makes a HUUUUUGE deal about proper nutrition and weight gain. What about the 2 or 3 of the 100 women reading her book who CAN"T FREAKING EAT? Ok, I'm ranting here, but I freakin cried when I was reading her book. So I thought it was rather useless. I've talked to NonHG moms who were gaining a lot of weight who also felt much guilt from her book.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Apr 19, 2005 8:09 pm

oops, sorry I spelled your name wrong!
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Zofran = Lifesaver

Postby Lauraa » Apr 20, 2005 8:28 am

In my last pregnancy I took Zofran from week 6 through to delivery and I have a beautiful, bright, happy little boy.

To me, Zofran is a wonder drug and I have no hesitation in taking it for my next pregnancy!

Good luck!
Lauraa
2 x HG survivor

Jordan - 16/9/2000
Koby - 03/08/2004
Lauraa

Postby Trudy » Apr 20, 2005 5:24 pm

I used Zofran from week 5 till week 23. I wouldn't have made it without it. Its done no harm to my girl who is absolutly perfect. No health problems. She is advanced, extremely happy and easy going and thriving.

Trudy
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Postby bunniet » Apr 23, 2005 10:14 am

Genevieve,
I'm like you and hate to take meds when I'm pg. As a matter of fact with my last 5 pregnancies (the first one pg with twins as well) I did'nt take meds and just about died! This pg I got Zofran when I first found out I was pg and have been on it since!(I'm 15 weeks now) I'm also taking unisom/b6 and once in a while benadryl. It has really made a difference and so far the baby seems fine. My Dr. was fine with me taking it and I checked out motherisk and it seems it's pretty safe. I decided starving was not good for the baby, so I've gave meds a try. I hope this helps!
P.S. Genevieve is a family name on my husbands side, If we have a girl that's what we plan on naming her! Great name! We will nickname her eve or evie.

Cheri
bunniet
Opinionated HGer

Postby tryingtobebrave » Apr 27, 2005 10:23 pm

Among other drugs, I took Zofran and Reglan through a PICC/pump from 6-26 weeks of my last pregnancy. Even with it, I could not eat or drink for at least 12 weeks and lost about 15 pounds and that was an improvement from my first pregnancy. My DS is very healthy. You'll have a lifetime of guilt about all the ways that you fail to be the best parent ever...I'd wait to get started on it!
tryingtobebrave

Postby HGx3 » Apr 28, 2005 12:30 am

Try to look at it this way... If it is helping, use it, because a healthier mommy results in a health baby. Extended vomiting and dehydration can lead to pre term labor, if zofran can help you avoid that, then consider it a blessing.

I know the guilt is gut renching, try to hang in there :)
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies