What is the reglan pump?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

What is the reglan pump?

Postby gathba » Apr 18, 2005 2:36 pm

I have not been doing exceptionally well the last week on my zofran/reglan combo and tomorrow I am having a reglan pump installed. I'm a little nervous. What sort of contraption is this going to be? Am I going to be able to move about a multi-level house easily? Can anyone give me any info?

Thanks!

Betsy =)
gathba

Postby meg » Apr 18, 2005 7:27 pm

Betsy,

The reglan pump is a sub-cutaneous pump that delivers micro doses of medication to the tissue beneath your skin in a steady dosage around the clock. Your body doesn't have to digest the meds and you don't have any lag time between doses. The pump is small, about the size of a walkman (at least mine was). It has tubing that runs from the computerized machine to a small needle (about 1/2 inch) that is usually placed in the upper thigh (although locations vary). I am very needle phobic and the needle did not hurt! It is fairly easy to get along as well as the pump device itself can be worn on your belt or over your shoulder on a strap like a purse. You should have no problem navigating about your house. The needle site needs to be changed about every 3 days or so and I was allowed to forgo the pump for an hour or so at this time to shower, etc.

I, too, didn't make much progress on the zofran/reglan combo and was placed on the pump. The pump really helped to improve things for me. I was able to get out of bed and I gained a bit of weight. I think that I was dependent upon the pump for about 8 weeks. (It may have been longer, I keep losing track.)

Anyway, I hope that it is successful for you, too. If I can answer any other questions for you, don't hesitate to ask.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby HGx3 » Apr 18, 2005 9:20 pm

Meg did a great job explaining the pump. You will most likely find some improvement with the use of it because the meds are always in your system. I would reccomend still using zofran, or any other medication your doc will perscribe!

You will change the insertion site every 3 days and may begin to find irritating, itchy red bumps. This is very normal. Use warm rags or a heating pad to ease any discomfort. I even used some benadryl cream, and it helped a little with the itching.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies