Any allergies to Zofran?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Any allergies to Zofran?

Postby bps821 » Apr 18, 2005 3:37 pm

In my first pregnancy, I was given Zofran in the pill form (blue pill). Within one day I developed hives all over my trunk and arms and legs with itching. I was immediately taken off Zofran and put on Reglan which did not work.

In preparation for a second pregnancy, another doctor has given me Zofran ODT to try believing that the matrix in the pill caused the allergic reaction. I took two 4mg Zofran ODT yesterday and the only side effect was mild itching. No hives.

I was also able to take Anzemet without any side effects, but I have been reading it does not work as well as Zofran.

Has anyone experienced this reaction and if so, were you able to continue Zofran? I am hoping itching without hives means I can take it.

Itching beats vomiting.

bps821
bps821

Postby Marie » Apr 18, 2005 8:11 pm

Yikes!!! Usually Zofran is a last resort in HG due to the cost, and rarely are there side effects (with the exception of constipation) with usage. As long as its just itching and not full blown hives, I would ask the doc if you can take at least 25mg. of benedryl with each dose of Zofran. Benedryl is often used in HG to combat nausea and is a class B drug, so this may actually benefit you in two ways.

Hope this helps,
Best Wishes,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby rjdecker » Apr 19, 2005 9:51 am

I agree with Marie. With my fourth pg I tried zofran to see if it would help (it didn't touch me with the previous pg) and it did help, but I broke out. But itching is still a side effect. Especially if it gets bad. The benadryl is a good idea. See if it works, and be careful with the zofran, watch for any more hives or being unable to breathe.
Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies