Anyone given Remeron?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anyone given Remeron?

Postby Jolene » Apr 18, 2005 4:09 pm

I was given Remeron (for nausea) both in the hospital and a prescription to take at home. It made me very tired and since I was only to take it at bed, I thought that was fine. I never took it regularly, I am NOT one to take any kind of medication. The last time I took it, it felt like I had a hangover the next day. Severe dizziness, not able to get out of bed wihtouth help, it was terrible. I haven't taken it in a while, but felt like reading about it at mayoclininc.com...I wish I would have done that weeks ago. Do you know that according to the mayo clininc, Remeron has caused death to fetuses in animals!!!! Why would they give it to me???? Has anyone else ever taken this? It kind of bums me out!

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby HGx3 » Apr 18, 2005 9:24 pm

I never took it, but I know others here have. It is a antidepressant I believe that aids with the nausea. I didnt realize that it caused death to animal fetuses. I wouldnt worry too much, I know the others here that took it ended up with healthy babies! If it really isnt helping you, there are other meds that you could try, such as vistaril. I used it with some success, in addition to many other meds, and I klnow there are several ladies here right now that are using it with great success. Good luck.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby rjdecker » Apr 19, 2005 9:48 am

Jolene,
I don't know if this helps, but we give remeron a lot in the nursing home and when someone reacts to it with being unable to get out of bed and you just can't stand up, you may have too high a dose. It probably will cause some drowsiness, etc but too much isn't good. See if you can take half a tab or something. usually a decrease seems to help a lot.
Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby Jolene » Apr 21, 2005 11:35 am

Jenny,

I talked to the midwife yesterday about the effects of remeron. She suggested I take half of a half, which I did last night. I wasn't able to pull myself out of bed until 11am today! Tonight I will try half of a quarter and see how that affects me.

I do not feel nauseaus though!
Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby rjdecker » Apr 22, 2005 9:54 am

Jolene,
It is good that you are not nauseated with the remeron. You know it is also an antidepressant, so that is a plus. Sometimes the fatigue associated with it may last a while and then go away. Is there any difference in the amount of fatigue with the decrease? If so, this is good. Sometimes you have to play with it a little bit. I hate being so tired with all my kids, but sometimes I really need it too. Just be careful that you are not so tired that you can't stand up, or fall, or something like that.
Here's hoping that this will work out well for you. Keep us updated.
Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies