Unisom in 3rd tri ~ side affects? Addiction??

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Unisom in 3rd tri ~ side affects? Addiction??

Postby JulieinMN » Apr 23, 2005 7:06 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the Unisom factor of the Zofran/B6/Unisom combo.

I am just about due to deliver here, but have had to keep taking my Zofran and Unisom right up until now. I have tried to wean off them both, as I feel fine even with minimal doses, but I am finding that I need them still ~ especially the Unisom! A few weeks ago I had run out of tablets, and thought that I would just go without since I was so close to the end, but within about 24 hours, I was sick again ~ even threw up as I waited for my dh to return from Walgreens with a new box.

I have SO wanted to get off this drug, but I don't seem to be able to.

My questions as asked in the subject line are:

Could I be addicted to this?

Side effects: I have SUCH low energy during the day, I have this lazy feeling, I've HAD to nap on a daily basis, and it's not atypical for me to fall asleep for 2 SOLID HOURS :shock: ! (A good friend of mine said to me ~ lovingly ~ but you have 4 children, you're pregnant, AND you are advanced maternal age ~ ha, I'm over 35!) Could this sleepiness be a side effect of prolonged daily Unisom usage?

I'm hoping someone else here can give me some insight on this. I have been very frustrated by this part of my pregnancy, and although, I'm extremely grateful to have made it through HG, I can't help but be a little crabby (especially now that I'm less than a week away from the end.)

Thank you for any advice ~
Momma of 4
6 x HG Survivor
New baby due soon ~ 5/28/05
JulieinMN

Postby nikki0072004 » Apr 24, 2005 1:26 pm

Not only have I taken Unisom every day of this pregnancy(24 weeks), but I have taken it eery day for three months beofre that.

I never have any side effects, and I am running around all day with a toddler (not four kids, but still!!! lol). I sleep like a log at night, but I think thats because I am pregnant, and just exhausted!!!

I have asked about effects to the baby, and was assured by numerous Docs that it is fine. No problem there.

Since your addiction seems to be because of the sickness, you will find it goes away afetr the baby is born. Dont worry about it til then, you dont need any more stress to make yourself sleepy!!!
nikki0072004
Welcomed Friend

Postby emily » Apr 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Um, you don't sound like you are addicted, you sound like you are fighting HG! All of what you described is HG. Great for you that you are almost there and ready to have your baby!

Oh, and I personally get knocked out by half a unisom myself. I don't understand how some people can take it during the day but I think we all have different reactions. Still, I don't think you are addicted.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby JulieinMN » Apr 24, 2005 2:47 pm

:D

Thank you, Nikki, Emily. This is very reassuring.

So you think the daytime tiredness is due more to HG than the Unisom?

I know once baby is born I will feel much better, it will be a totally different tiredness. One deserving!!!

I appreciate your time to respond!

Again, thank you! ~ Blessings to you both and way to hang in there for those precious babes!
Momma of 4
6 x HG Survivor
JulieinMN

Postby emily » Apr 24, 2005 3:35 pm

Oh, yes, definitely fatigue goes with HG. I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired. LOL Even when I am not nauseated or vomitting, I often find myself exhuasted and my body is fatigued (ie. I am sore, and weak and feel like I can't hardly move). It is definitely the HG and it goes away. I was never this tired even with a newborn! LOL I sleep 12 hours a night every night and often take long naps during the day and I don't even take unisom very often (and only at night because about 20 minutes after I take half of one I am knocked out). I remember with my first pg being so worried about having enough energy to go through labor and delivery or take care of a newborn, but I did. I was amazed at what I could do!
emily
Devoted to You

Postby Adriana » Jun 08, 2005 5:30 pm

I have a similar experience with Unisom. Every time I try to stop taking it I get sick again. So I just keep byuing it and taking it before bedtime. I sleep for about 11 hours ('cos I can, at least until my Mom is here to help with my first child). I've beel also wondering how long it is safe to ake it for or why I seem to be unable to do without it. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Good luck with the baby coming.

Adriana
Adriana

Postby JulieinMN » Jun 09, 2005 11:57 am

Adriana,

I have wondered that myself, though I have had to take it up until the day I deliver in my last 2 pregnancies. I'm not sure why I seem to need it, but I do. Knocks me out too.

However, I'm done now! :D and no medication needed!!! Just tired from night feedings. Babies both seem to be fine. I suppose if I ever do this again (I just finished my 6th HG pregnancy) or if my dh lets me, it will be the same thing as before medication wise. I am SO not fatigued now like I was a month and a half ago.
Momma of 4
6 x HG Survivor
JulieinMN

Postby meg » Jun 09, 2005 1:20 pm

Julie,

It sounds as if you have had your baby. Congratulations! I am just in awe of your survival of 6 hg pregnancies. Best to you and your family.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies