toxic Zofran toots and "Zofran doesn't cause constipati

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

toxic Zofran toots and "Zofran doesn't cause constipati

Postby IslandDreamer » May 05, 2005 6:28 pm

So can anyone confirm the toxic toots are the Zofran? Especially with the tablets?

As for the second part of the subject line, not sure if this belongs in Humor, "My doc doesn't understand," or "I've been crackered." I've been asking for a midline since earlier this week, and doc insisted I go up on meds. Well, I don't want to add more meds....I want to feel better with fewer meds, which means IV fluids and IV vitamins, imho. So I continue to offer evidence about why I shouldn't take Zofran and state the monstrous constipation that is almost worse than the puking. That's when doc offers the gem: "Zofran doesn't cause constipation." :shock: HUH :?: I blubber meaningless nonsense for a moment, which indicates to him my shock, and let it go.

So I agree to try adding some Zofran to my protocol in order to meet his terms for inpatient admittance (so insurance will cover it all...they won't cover all of an ER visit :x ). I ask about the dissolvable. He says fine, will my insurance argue, should he write a special note? He begins to redeem himself from the constipation comment.

When I arrive at the pharmacy, I learn he ordered up SIXTY 8 mg tabs, that's 30 days worth...30 days I won't have to run to the pharmacy, hopefully. With Hope, I was at the pharmacy every four days cause the doc wouldn't call in any more than 30 4mg tabs.

He is redeemed and I am cancelling doc's ticket to HG Island :lol: .

As for the Zofran ODT, could it taste any worse after it dissolves? The after taste is NASTY. So I followed up Aimee's initial clinical trial and am doing the Zofran vaginally :lol: . Twice today, and no screaming burn or anything.

As for cost, thought Zofran tabs were bad...I paid a $25 copay...insurance paid, get this....drum roll...this is insanity....$1795 and change. That is nuts!

My newest drug list:
25 mg/unisom 3xdaily
200 mg/B6 2xdaily (down from 400 which had Kimber a bit freaked about neurological issues for me)
8 mg/Zofran ODT (via hootch) 2xdaily

What's your latest?

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby meg » May 05, 2005 8:36 pm

Suzanne,

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I consider it a wonderful sign that your sense of humor is well preserved. Will you tell doc about how you are administering the Zofran ODT? Btw, my old OB also claimed that Zofran does not cause constipation :!: I think we all know otherwise.

Hope the increased meds, mean an improvement or at least lead to your goal of IV fluids.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » May 05, 2005 11:06 pm

I was fascinated when I read the package labeling for Zofran a while back (well after consuming half the world's supply of zofran over a 30 week period (':lol:') ) It describes 2 regimens one that is a one dose regimen for chemo with only diarrhea as a side effect, and one that desribes a 3 day regimen where diarrhea and contipation are about equal at less than 10%

I'm assuming that it must somehow be due to the fact that chemo is different from hg, because there are very few with hg that DON'T get constipated. Matria has their pump program for zofran and they are well aware of the constipation issue.

How does the Zofran seem to be working for you that way?? I do think it is reasonable to avoid the infection issues with a midline if you can, and surely to avoid hospitalization!

I know you are miserable, but it really sounds like you are doing well especially since you should be about at the peak right now! I'm so happy for you!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby HGx3 » May 06, 2005 12:45 am

OMG, I am TRIPPING out!! :o I swear!!! I did NOT know you could take Zofran ODT that way.........seriously???? Either I just learned something new, or I will be the butt of many jokes to come....... :oops:
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby teddi » May 06, 2005 2:46 am

I'm sorry... I thought I just read Suzanne say she takes Zofran via cooch....

Oi vey... I need to go to bed now.

By the time I get to another pregnancy (IF IF IF IF IF ) hopefully we can't shove it up the nostrils... that way it solves two problems in one...we won't be able to smell anything either...

Take Zofran vaginally.....hmmm... well I guess it fits... that's how the problem got started ANYWAY...
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby tigergirl2346 » Jun 18, 2005 12:39 pm

Soo constipated! Yep the zophran really does make that worse. Drs don't know everything!
Vaginally? Kinda cool.... don't have to worry about swallowing all that saliva. Although I like the taste of the zophran (it reminds me of nestle strawbery quick which is a fond childhood memory) my tummy doesn't enjoy the swallow part.
Becca
tigergirl2346

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies