Swollen tongue, lip numbness & inbility to chew... Aller

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Swollen tongue, lip numbness & inbility to chew... Aller

Postby Spark » May 16, 2005 7:22 pm

I'm having an allergic reaction to one of my meds. Swollen tongue, lip numbness & inbility to chew. My Dr. advised to take Benadryl so far it hasn't let up though. I may be on the way to the ER to get a shot to cure me.

Anyone else had an experience like this? I think it was either: Raglan or Compasine or very rare chance of Zofran.

Ideas?
DS '01 - Mild HG till 16 wks, Lost 8% of bodyweight, no meds
DD1 '04 - M/S till 14 wks, lost 4% of bodyweight, no meds needed
DD2 '06 - Moderate HG 9 mos, lost 16% of bodyweight, limited meds, poorly managed by Dr :(
Each Child SO Worth It!
DS2 '08 - BEST PREGNANCY EVER! Sooo thankful! http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?p=288211#288211
Spark
Been There Done That

Postby teddi » May 16, 2005 8:08 pm

Anything else besides meds it might be? Any new products (moisturizer, etc?) you have used?

Try as much Benadryl as you can w/out ODing...!!

Haven't heard of those reactions before, but my biggest suspect might be the compazine...I hope you can figure it out!!
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby Spark » May 17, 2005 9:11 am

Well, I stopped the Compasine and the Raglan and I'm ok now. It took the rest of the night to recover. We actually went to the ER but they were so busy and it was 8:30pm and I was already so tired. SO glad we turned around. I could breathe ok, so I wasn't in any huge danger.

I'm totally fine now. Thank goodness!

I don't think it was anything different in my eating or mosturizing or anything. The reaction had been coming on for a days... as in ever since I started taking the Compozine. So, I think you're right on that!

Thanks for the input. I'm going to stay away from the Raglan too until I have time to talk to my Dr. about it.
DD2 '06 - Moderate HG 9 mos, lost 16% of bodyweight, limited meds, poorly managed by Dr :(
Each Child SO Worth It!
DS2 '08 - BEST PREGNANCY EVER! Sooo thankful! http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?p=288211#288211
Spark
Been There Done That

Postby mammaclare » May 17, 2005 5:46 pm

I know many of us (myself not included) have had adverse reactions to both reglan and compazine. However, an adverse reaction is different than an allergic reaction.

Comapzine itself is an anti-histamine by class, so its liklihood of causing an allergic reaction is not as great as Reglan. Allergic reactions DO tend to become worse after each exposure to the allergen so it is likely either one of the drugs as you said it has been coming on for days. The bad part is that since they do get worse every time, you are at BIG risk for an even scarier reaction if you have it again.

So my opinion would be better safe than sorry and not take either again. If you have a remote suspicion of the Zofran, ask your OB if you can take one in the appointment and hang around the office for a couple hours (I know-NOT fun) to be sure you don't react again--you will need that Zofran to hang on!! And, if you do react you are in the care of MD's right away.

Good luck!
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby Spark » May 17, 2005 5:50 pm

Oh, Clare! I'm a Claire!

Thank you for the information! Whew, that is scary stuff!!! I didn't realize. I'm all better now although my speech is still a bit impaired. Not too badly though, just a little slurred like I've had dental work.

That's a good idea about taking the Zofran. In fact, I might just take it before going to see him tomorrow. That way I'll be there... probably in the waiting room waiting and waiting LOL! if I should have a reaction.
Each Child SO Worth It!
Spark
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies