Twitches and spasms with Reglan?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Twitches and spasms with Reglan?

Postby Melanie » May 21, 2005 4:50 am

Hello,

I am 12 weeks pregnant with our 2nd child. I have a history of hyperemesis (was hospitalized for dehydration with our son) and so this time around, my ob and I made a plan to manage the nausea and vomiting early and aggressively to avoid hospitalization. He started me on Reglan, 5 mg 3 times a day, as soon as the hyperemesis-like symptoms showed up. He told me I could substitute Zofran for the Reglan as needed if I ever felt like I needed something more powerful, which I've done several times in the past week, but otherwise to stick with the Reglan.

So far it seems to be working. Now that I'm on the meds I am feeling much better at this point in my pregnancy than with my son; although I still feel some nausea and vomiting it's not the 10-15 vomiting episodes a day like it was with him, and I have only lost 6 lbs. as opposed to the 20 lbs I lost when I was pregnant with him. I have been able to eat and drink for the most part, which I couldn't do without the meds. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this continues!

I am writing to ask if any of you have ever noticed muscle spasms or twitches with Reglan. I noticed this morning that my right knee is twitching slightly and has been for maybe 2 hours. It looks like it's hiccuping! I can walk and it doesn't hurt. I read the insert that came with the Rx and it does list spasms as a side effect. I also found further confirmation of this side effect in numerous web sites. I plan to contact my doctor today but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I hate to stop the Reglan when it's working OK, especially since my copay is 3x higher with the Zofran and I am concerned that my insurance only cover a limited # of refills per month of Zofran.

Thanks in advance for sharing -

Melanie
Melanie

Postby pippa » May 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Melanie,

Call your doctor ASAP. I haven't been on it myself, but I know from my son being on it as a newborn that one of the rarer side effects can be tardive dyskinesia, which is Parkinson's-like symptoms. They subside if the medication is stopped.

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02
Bug 8.10.03
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby HGx3 » May 23, 2005 1:08 am

You are on a low dose, and what you are describing are very common side effects. As long as they are not too bothersome, it is safe to continue the reglan. However, I would still contact your ob, so that he is aware that you are experiencing these side effects.

I would also caution you to watch closely if your dose is changed from 5mg to 10mg, the side effects may become more severe with a higher dose. Keep some Benadryl on hand, as it will counteract Reglan side effects in the event you need it to.
Also, this is my experience, but I do not reccomend switching back and forth between reglan and zofran. The are both most effective if used consistently, and not sporatically. I took them together, but never substituted one for the other. The key is to allow the meds to build up in your system, and take your dose on time so that it is never out of your system. That is the best method to fight and control the hg

Good luck to you, and hang in there. :)
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Reglan Reaction

Postby milliesmom » Jul 07, 2005 10:40 am

I had a reaction to Reglan during my 7th week - at first the OB suspected Bell's Palsy, but it was the Reglan. I was informed dehydration can cause such a reaction - well, with HG, OF COURSE I was dehydrated! I am, however, happy to report to those who are concerned about their reactions, I now have a VERY VERY healthy 8 month old girl!!! I worried myself silly the remaining 6.5 months of my pregnancy for nothing. So, to those who are struggling with reactions and are overwhelmed with worry, try to relax and know that most likely your baby is perfectly fine. I was told at the time that my reaction was absolutely no indication that the fetus would also react.
milliesmom

Postby Kariinbliss » Jul 07, 2005 6:29 pm

I was just reminded today that I was on Reglan with my second child, as well as Zantac. We had absolutely no complications whatsoever, she is a bright, perfect, nutty 10 year old. I would take Reglan again in a heartbeat if I do end up pregnant again. I just wish my regular doc would have checked my old records a month ago, instead of the backup doc just checking today.
5x HG mom to:
Amy... born 1/20/92
Melissa... born 2/13/95
Alex... returned to heaven 6/20/05
Angel... watching from heaven 2/2/06
Peanut... safe in the Father's arms 4/24/06
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby petsparkle » Oct 10, 2005 7:44 pm

I don't know about reglan, but I have experienced similar twitching and jumping in my right leg. I am on Phenergan. It is quite possibly the medication and how it affects you, but don't let them put you on something to subside it. I had issues with a pain medication combination that made my right arm shake so they put me on Neurontin (an epilepsy drug) to reduce it. Why not modify the med? Once I came off all the medications when I became pregnant, the twitching stopped entirely. It really is unlikely to be anything to worry about, but have it checked out if you are concerned. My twitching usually occurs in the evening if I haven't taken my night time meds yet, so it might be something like that for you too?

Take care,

Lissa
petsparkle

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies