vomiting has let up but anything stop nausea???

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

vomiting has let up but anything stop nausea???

Postby DH22 » May 21, 2005 5:04 pm

I am on 24mg zofran and it is helping my vomiting but it has never taken away the queasy sick feeling. That is the worst. I feel so sick that I gag and almost throw up. I have tried sea bands, lemon, etc...most everything. this is my second pregnancy and I had the same experience with #1. It lasted the whole 9 months. I am hoping this won't last long. any input would be great.
Thanks
Debbie
DH22

Postby NutinStaysDown » May 21, 2005 5:25 pm

Debbie,
I had the same experience with Zofran. It did not even touch my nausea.
My dr would give me a shot of decadron with my IV's once a week, and I always felt better after that (for a day anyway). The few weeks that I didn't get the decadon, I noticed no relief. From my understanding decadron is a steriod.
So if I ever am crazy enough to get pregnant again (this is my 3rd HG pregnancy), I think I would be open to try a steriod. Prednisone is listed a kagillion times on this message board and it may be worth trying if you are far enough along, and you and your dr are comfortable with it.
I hope this helped.
Jen
Jen

Mommy of...
Kelti - 2/11/02
Bree - 5/6/03
Bean Sprout - edd 10/15/05
NutinStaysDown

Postby Carcully » May 21, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi Debbie,

I posted to your other topic as well, but here goes on this one...

I had HG with my first pregnancy as well. At first, they tried Reglan, Tigan, and Phenergan, all with no success. I had constant nausea and vomitting up until about 14 weeks, when I wound up in the ER. I was given Zofran at that point, and it was helpful...for a while. A few days after I was released from the hospital, I was sick again, and wound up in the clinic for IV's. It was at that point that my doctor suggested Prednisone (steroids). I did a taper over about 3 weeks, and after only a couple of days, I felt so much better. It was the turning point for me. I did feel sick again when I tapered off of them, but I was able to be managed on Zofran and Phenergan for the remainder of my pregnancy.

This time, I was sick even earlier, and wound up in the ER at 6 weeks. Nothing touched it this time. I was having horrible thoughts of termination, which made me feel so awful. My doctor started the Prednisone at that point. I am still miserable, but it has stopped the vomitting cycle. I am also taking Zofran and Phenergan, as I slowly taper off the Prednisone. I am contantly nauseated and miserable, but I know without the meds, I would be hopeless. I am just hoping that as I slowly climb out of this first trimester hole, I 'll get a little better...perhaps after the hormone levels aren't increasing so much, the meds will be able to provide more in the way of relief. Until then, it's just one day at a time. I just wanted to cry when I first heard,'take it one day at a time', but it's all we can do. Are you able to sleep at night? That is the only relief I get, is that I can sleep much of the night. It's the happiest part of every day right now for me...which sounds pathetic.

Hang in there...I hope you can get some relief soon. You're definitely not alone. I'll think good thought for you!
Bethany
Mommy to Carson Anthony (8-17-01) and...
Cullen Michael (12-18-05)Image
Carcully
Been There Done That

Postby pippa » May 22, 2005 1:24 am

Debbie, nothing has helped the nausea here (still have it, in fact), but some of the mamas have said Vistril? helps with both the vomiting and the nausea. Maybe try a search and you can find some of the posts.

Good luck!

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00 - severe NVP
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02 - normal NVP
Bug 8.10.03 - normal NVP
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05 - HG for something different
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby JudyC » May 25, 2005 11:45 pm

Hi Debbie,

I used Zofran for both my HG pregnancies, which like you, helped with the vomiting, but did nothing for the nausea. When I was 16 weeks pregnant with my second pregnancy, my GP prescribed Mirtazapine for me. It is an anti-depressant and an anti-nausea drug (I was also very depressed). I took a tablet at night and by morning, my nausea was almost completely gone! It was amazing! I took it for the duration of my pregnancy. This drug also causes drowsiness, so it's best taken before going to bed.

Mirtazapine is listed on this website under common medications for HG, however, I've never heard of anyone else who has used it. I'm really curious about this as it helped me so much.

JudyC
JudyC

Postby tigergirl2346 » Jun 08, 2005 6:57 pm

Debbie,
Phenergan helps with my nausea for about an hour or so when I take it along side my anzamet. The doc hasn't given me any ideas for a more effective help.
Becca
tigergirl2346

Postby AndreaMMS » Jun 30, 2005 2:33 pm

I find that 12 mg of unisom (over the counter) is the ONLY thing that helps the nausea and allows me to eat. You might want to ask your doctor...
AndreaMMS
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies