Is there anything better than anzamet?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Is there anything better than anzamet?

Postby tigergirl2346 » Jun 05, 2005 7:30 pm

I am on anzamet, and I have to take phenergan too. And I'm still vomiting after a month of meds. Is there anything else? I've heard about zophran, but my doctor didn't want to switch me to it. Any ideas why?
Becca
tigergirl2346

Postby Marie » Jun 06, 2005 11:45 am

Becca,

The reason that your doctor is not trying you on Zofran may have to do with where you are from. The reason for most docs in the US to be hesitant is the cost of the drug. They usually reserve this as a last resort to be able to justify it to insurance cos for coverage.
It seems that it is easier to get this med in the US. I don't know the rationale for it being so difficult to get in other Countries.

Take Care, and I hope you find a medication that works for you,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Postby Beth B » Jun 06, 2005 7:12 pm

Zofran and Anzemet are very similar - I know I was given IV versions of both interchangeably in the hospital. I looked into Anzemet costs and coverage, as until recently I was paying out of pocket for Zofran, and my insurance covered even LESS Anzemet, as it was more expensive. So cost shouldn't be a factor for your doctor to prescribe it???
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

They might switch me tomorrow

Postby tigergirl2346 » Jun 08, 2005 6:44 pm

I've been getting increasingly worse this week even with phenergan too, so they are possibly going to switch me to the zophran at my doc appt. tomorrow. All my nurses recommended it, and so they said to tell the doc I want to switch. My insurance should cover it, as it covers my anzamet with no problems.
My nurse mentioned reglan (sp?) too, but said I shouldn't take it because I have a history of depression (last trimester and post-partum). Do you all know anything about that?
Becca
tigergirl2346

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies