Does B6 really work and what about emetrol?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Does B6 really work and what about emetrol?

Postby DH22 » Jun 12, 2005 11:11 am

zofran does nothing for me. My HG seems to be getting worse. At first i could eat and now I cannot eat or drink anything without vomiting. I feel sick to my stomach all day and my mouth fills up with so much excess saliva that makes me sick. I am going to take the B6 starting tonight. The pharmacist told me to take it before i go to bed, she also told me about emetrol. I might as well try it since prescriptions are not working. I take 8mg zofran every 6 hours and nothing. I also tried reglan and nothing. I cannot go on like this. I am only 10 week pg. help!
Debbie
DH22

Postby IslandDreamer » Jun 12, 2005 5:38 pm

I've always combined the b6 with unisom (active ingredient doxylamine succinate), so I can't speak to how well b6 works alone. For me, the combination really cuts the puking a lot. Most folks find it relieves the nausea.

But if you can't keep anything down, then none of the meds will work very well. You may be dehydrated and should be checked. I was doing okay until week 13 and then nothing helped. I got rehydrated and all my meds are doing their jobs now. It's a weird balancing act with hg, eh?

So sorry you're dealing with this.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby pippa » Jun 13, 2005 8:54 pm

OMG... Emetrol??? All that ever did for me was make me vomit faster. It's all sugar... sicky-sweet. I will never understand how it's supposed to work, but even with regular old NVP, that's a cracker moment in my book.

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00 - severe NVP
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02 - normal NVP
Bug 8.10.03 - normal NVP
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05 - HG for something different
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby mammaclare » Jun 14, 2005 7:06 am

You are at the peak of HG for most women, so this may be the worst worst week for you. Hang in there and read the B6/Unisom folder to see the protocol. Don't quit the Zofran because it MAY be working more than you think and you don't want to get worse.

Also I agree with getting some hydration. Hugs
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Anybody heard about B6 injections??

Postby Kate31 » Jul 01, 2005 9:58 am

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum, and thrilled to find a support group like this! My last pregnancies were 9 and 10 years ago, and there wasn't much support for HG sufferers back then My husband was pretty terrified that I was so sick, and on the first HG, the HMO roped him into maintaining an IV for me at home. So, I really didn't get to do anything but throw up for about 3 weeks until we tried Zofran. Luckily, that worked, but I remember the constipation and the required enemas vividly.

So, I've been bouncing around the internet since I found out that I was pregnant (I'm 6 weeks now), and found this site "ask dr walt stoll", who claims that 1 or 2 injections of 200 mg of B6 will CURE HG. He also states that only 1% of doctors know about this treatment. Could it be so simple? I excitedly call my doctor's office to talk B4 my first visit to see if they can do this. No, they tell me, they've never heard of it, and there's no point in starting B6 until I start throwing up. Dr Stoll says it's important to start it B4 you go downhill and he says that many doctors are just plain ignorant. Funny, the nurse originally started by telling me that HG just has to run its course - hah! Betcha they wouldn't say that if the docs and nurses had to suffer through it!!

Has anybody ever heard of B6 injections of 200 mg working, or of Dr Walt Stoll??
Kate
m/c November 1994
m/c February 1995
Meghan born Jan 1996
Shannon born Feb 1997
Kate31

Postby HGx3 » Jul 01, 2005 11:39 pm

Welcome Kate and congrats on your pregnancy!

I read your other post and responded there,but, I will copy and paste my reply here for you as well.
First, I encourage you to read the sticky at the top of this forum, regarding B6/unison/zofran. It has great info that will answer alot of your questions about dosages, etc .

And it is better to have b6 built up in your system BEFORE nvp or hg sets in, so start on it now!!!!!

About b6 injections.....
STOP hg? probably not, Help to ease it? Maybe. For me, b6 didnt really help, though I never recieved the injections. I think it would all depend on your level of severity with your hg. If you had a mild case, it would be more likely to feel a tremendous amount of relief. If you were a more severe case, and meds dont help much in the first place, it may offer a tad bit of relief from the symptoms of hg, but would not stop it.

I think if there was anything out there that actually Stopped hg, none of us would be posting here. :wink:

B6 injections have been discussed here before, so this really isn't new information . Andy, our forum admin, has experience with the details, so I am sure she can offer additional information about the use of them.

Good luck to you as you begin your journey!!!!!!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby HGx3 » Jul 01, 2005 11:46 pm

That post is in the first tri folder, so pop in there and have a read and post your news and intro!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby Ivydragon » Jul 03, 2005 12:04 am

Emetrol - I am so tempted to gag, and it's been 10 1/2 years since I tried that stuff! Doesn't do anything but hasten vomiting for HGers.

Zofran is really a tricky drug - if you're not hydrated, it's simply not going to work, and you don't want to quit cold turkey.

B6 takes about two weeks to kick in orally. You can get sublingual B6, but few health food stores carry it, and you have to order it online That also helps immediately, as it is absorbed into your bloodstream from your mouth. You can tell a difference with that and injections pretty quickly. Unisom will help right away, but if you're serious about B6, ask for Pyridoxine injections. If I forgot to take my B6 during my pgs, even when I was on my normal (but still medicated) end of the pg, my dh could tell by my tone of voice by noon. It made that slight of a difference to me, but such a big one with him, and if I forgot longer than that, I was more nauseas than usual.

B6 really DOES help most HGers. Many really want to pop a pill and have a miracle, and B6 doesn't work that way, and HG doesn't respond that way, it's a whole body health balance thing - even on western meds. Here's the thing about B6 - even if it helps a little, it's the only thing that is Cat. A for HG on the drug list available for us HGers. Zofran is Cat. B, Phenergan and Reglan are Cat. C! Even if B6 is helping only a little, it's worth taking simply because the difference it makes is a SAFE difference. Unisom has been highly tested with it, and is Cat. B, and is also considered to be our safest option, which is why they are so common here. Yes, we have to take drugs to preserve our lives, our babies, our pregnancies, and our sanity, but we also love our unborn babes, and want them to be as safe as possible despite our challenge to sruvive the illness that we endure while we give them life.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby petsparkle » Oct 10, 2005 7:53 pm

Emetrol is the bane of my existance!! My OB told me that was the only thing I could take (before I was admitted to the ER). Most places only carry the cherry flavor which is very sickly sweet and made me throw up more. However, I have heard that they use a mint version in the hospitals for patients coming out of anesthesia, so if you can get your hands on some of that, you might find it works better. Mints have been a good suppressant for me (to a point).

I have found it at this link, but I haven't used this site before so I can't really advise on that aspect:

http://www.medshopexpress.com/971222.html
petsparkle

Postby PamelaRose » Oct 12, 2005 8:47 pm

Cherry Emetrol - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

8 years, and I can still taste the stuff. How on earth is it supposed to PREVENT vomiting? :oops:
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies