Chiropractic, Anyone?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Chiropractic, Anyone?

Postby _Laurie » Jul 02, 2005 7:27 pm

I know some of you have had Chiropractic to treat HG, and I can't remember who... Did it help at all?

I was involved in a car accident last Nov, and have been seeing a D.C. ever since. It's amazing how good I feel. Every time I ache, he fixes it in a matter of minutes. I swore I'd never go to one since I watched one jerk my mom's neck around when I was little and it almost made me faint. :) But this guy is amazing. When I went in, I couldn't even turn my head and I left feelingwonderful and thinking it was a miracle. So, I'm wondering if these guys can help HG...

So what's out there on Chiro treatment and HG?
Laurie
3HG pregnancies: 2 sweet girls 4/01, 4/03, and my twins 1/27/07

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.
-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Jul 05, 2005 11:14 am

I saw a chiro through all of my pregnancies. I think it helped alot. There seemed to always be on particular spot in my back that would go out and make the nausea worse. I would go see him and he would put it back in and the nausea would improve immensely. It never went away completely, but it did help.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Thanks Wendy

Postby _Laurie » Jul 05, 2005 11:50 am

Hi, Wendy. Thanks for your input! So, I'm very interested now. Was is a "regular" chiropractor? I know someone here saw a certain kind of chiro (can't remember what his title was, though). Also, how often did you have to go? Did you go very often when HG was at its worse?
Again, thanks!
Laurie

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.
-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Jul 06, 2005 1:28 pm

Yes, he was a "regular" chiropractor. But then again, I didn't know their were different kinds. I went whenever I felt I needed to. Usually at least once a week if not twice. I got to the point where I could tell when it was my back making it worse. I think he was pretty happy when I decided not to have any more even though he knew I wouldn't be such a big source of income any more. He is one of the few people who really saw me at my worst during my last pregnancy and he really understood how bad it was.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby aaronsmommy » Jul 06, 2005 4:33 pm

Laurie,

I remember Christina (burntcarmine) posted a lot about chiropractic. You can look for her posts about it on the old site. I know she posted here a couple of times, so you can try to email her through this site if you want.

I take it you aren't pregnant then??
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby _Laurie » Jul 07, 2005 9:41 pm

Wendy, Thanks again for sharing this info. In case pregnancy ever happens again for me, I've got this tucked away in my HG folder.

Aimee, Yes, I remember Christina using a chiropractor. I will have to go to the Hugs site and do some digging. And no I'm not pregnant. But Af was late, and I was prepared for the "worst". DH thinks I'm absolutely out of my mind, but I think that incident has made me more open to another pregnancy in my future. I think I'd like to have it all planned out ahead of time and have the girls older. And somedays I think I AM crazy. For now, I'm back to using a diaphragm. For some reason, I think that if I ever try to get pg again, I'll put so much guilt on myself when going through HG (although I'd be much more prepared than a surprise). On the other hand, by using a diaphragm, I'm kinda like "asking for" a surprise, huh?

Thanks for responding!

Laurie
Laurie

-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 18, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi, Laurie. I used chiropractic with all of my pregnancies as soon as I was able to trudge to the office, and it certainly helped my body deal with the stresses of being bedridden. I never had the chance to try when I was very sick, so I can't speak to that. Christina and I discussed this during our pregnancies, and she said that her chiropractor was SOTC (I think)--essentially, it involves massage of the skull and the base of the neck, and it's supposed to relieve morning sickness. I did have less nausea right after a good adjustment, and my chiropractor said most do use SOTC techniques, though there are a few who specialize. It's all at HuGS somewhere!

Good luck! Do you have a specific date set for ttc?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby nomore » Sep 19, 2005 9:31 am

Laurie-

Have you had any luck researching this or finding a chiropracter near you that has experience with N/V? Just curoius! A friend on mine had her newborn see a chiropracter for collic, and she had some encouraging results.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby _Laurie » Sep 20, 2005 8:18 am

Thanks, Pamela! This info helped quite a bit. I was looking into SOTC chiros on-line and the nearest to me is a 3+hr drive.

I'd like to see him 1-2x a week. I thought I might even try to get in at my worst (although this could just be pre-pregnancy talk, lol). I guess I'll just take it one day at a time. Until then, I'm still going every 2-3 weeks, so I'm pretty much always aligned. :D

An interesting (or not) :lol: side note-- I was reading an accupressure book recently and it showed the different places on the spine to treat nausea and vomiting with pressure. Don't know if there's any link, but the main place they talked about on the spine is where I'm completely a wreck every time I go to my chiro. He's always told me that's definitely my problem area (I forget now what it's technical term is, but it's the same thing they said to treat in that book). I also don't know if I had that problem area before the car accident last year or not. Don't know if I made sense at all in this last paragraph, but I'm just trying to figure out if a found one little piece of my HG puzzle...

As for a specific date, for ttc, we're going to start trying my late NOV/early DEC cycle, so my ticker is just counting down to Dec 1, I think. I think that would put me getting sick right after Christmas. What a way to ring in the new year, eh? :lol: I'm laughing now, but I have a feeling I won't be then...
Laurie

-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby _Laurie » Sep 20, 2005 8:28 am

Hey, Robin
Well, my chiro has treated pregnat women with N/V, but no hg-ers. The best thing about him is that I always feel wonderful after I leave and I trust him fully. He's even adjusted the girls (and I don't let just anyone see them so that's saying a lot). He treats babies too. I just wish I knew him when mine were little. He said one baby was screaming 24/7, they adjusted him, he went home, puked, and then fell asleep for 8 hours. In the morning he was like a different baby. I might not've believed this had I not met the mother who told me the same story. Weird, huh?

Also, I haven't told him I'm going to get pg. I've just casually asked about treating N/V. Actually he asked if I was planning to have more, and at the time I said no, so I don't know whether to tell him now or just wait till my BFP.

How are you??? I've got something here to mail to you, I just keep forgetting to get to the post office...
Laurie

-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Sep 20, 2005 9:14 am

Laurie,

I have that same spot right in the middle of my back, right between and below my shoulder blades that makes me nauseous every time it goes out of alignment. Is that the area you are talking about? When I was pregnant and my nausea was at its worst, I would go see the chiropractor and he would know exactly where to adjust. Good luck.
Wendy,
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby _Laurie » Sep 20, 2005 11:36 am

Wendy,
That's exactly it!!! Every time he adjusts it, I feel tremendous relief. Weird you dealt with the same place...

Hey, thanks for responding to this!!
Laurie

-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby _Laurie » Sep 20, 2005 11:51 am

Hey, Wendy,
I noticed after I posted a few minutes ago that your little guy has a birthday in a couple days! Happy Birthday to Colton! :D

I remember thinking when both of mine hit the year mark that I hadn't thrown up in a whole year. And that the year went faster than the 9 months I was pregnant! :)
Laurie

-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Sep 20, 2005 1:01 pm

It definitely has. I can't believe he will be a year. He is getting so big.
Thanks for the Happy Birthday, my husband said last night that we can just have a party for him at home and we can just make him a cake. I told him, no way, I want him to have a Minnesota VIkings football cake (my husband hates football, I am a huge fan), he gave me such a dirty look...lol. Now I think I will see if my friend can make him one half Vikings have Dale Jr. That ought to make him happy, he he. :wink:
Wendy,
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby _Laurie » Sep 20, 2005 1:06 pm

Sounds like a fun cake! :)
Laurie

-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 21, 2005 5:42 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me, Laurie. 8)

You could probably find a chiropractor close to you who uses SOTC techniques. My chiropractic clinic also has an accupuncturist, and I had that done a few times with one (or was it two?) of my pregnancies. I remember it with Brody's pregnancy for sure, and I know I was at 14 weeks and starting to come out of it, so it was impossible to say it worked or just coincided with the natural easing of HG. I also had massage with Brody's pregnancy, and the masseuse said she'd never felt such a knot up between the shoulder blades--must be a real pressure area with HG! And all of our kids had adjustments as babies. It is really cool to watch! Reilly was transverse throughout the pregnancy, so my chiro was eager to work with her since that position tends to be really hard on babies. He predicted before her birth that she'd be the crankiest of all of mine, and he certainly got a gold star for that prediction! :wink:
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby nomore » Sep 21, 2005 7:08 pm

Pamela-

Thats so interesting about the transverse being cranky. My niece (who is 3 months younger than Madison) was transverse almost till delivery (she had to have a section anyways). But, she was a very cranky baby, and is certainly much more cranky than Madison now :) So, its interesting you mentioned that!

Wendy- happy early bday to your little guy :) His cake sounds like its going to be cute :)

Laurie- Things are good. Ill email you!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 21, 2005 9:00 pm

That is so interesting, Robin! My chiropractor was very thorough with questions about pregnancy and delivery, and when he explained how lying transverse puts more stress on baby's body, it made sense. My other two kids didn't have any noticeable problems after they were born, but Reilly always needed adjusting (I took her with me all the time, and he adjusts kids for free). And after she was adjusted, she slept and stopped spitting for a few hours. Then it started all over again. I really wish she'd let the chiropractor near her now, because she's still going through a hellish bout with "Terrible Two" and I'd like to see if he could ease that. It was much easier when she was just a cranky baby! Glad to hear she's not the only one. :roll:
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies