Only 6 tablets of Zofran per month available

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Only 6 tablets of Zofran per month available

Postby Trudy » Jul 07, 2005 5:50 pm

I saw my midwife yesterday who told me that I can only get 6x 8mg tablets of Zofran per month. Can you believe it, I mean how dumb is that! It wasn't like that last time. I was able to get a months supply at a time, and it was 6x 8mg tablets per month were subsidised. If this is now the case then that will mean spending at least half of each month in hospital. I can't do that!

Somehow I'm going to go to the chemist today to try and sort this out. Man I hope they've got it wrong.

Trudy
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Postby Kariinbliss » Jul 07, 2005 6:22 pm

I think that is the case with Zofran. Here (in Idaho) we can get 15 tablets a month that insurance will partially pay for, but after that we have to pay the entire amount. We figured out that would have cost us about $3,000 for a month. Which, coincidentally, is what it cost the insurance company to hospitalize me (and give me Zofran, which was covered in the hosp) for 3 days. As my dh said... "Penny wise, pound foolish." Insurance companies are nuts. I hope you find a way to get your meds!!! :-)
5x HG mom to:
Amy... born 1/20/92
Melissa... born 2/13/95
Alex... returned to heaven 6/20/05
Angel... watching from heaven 2/2/06
Peanut... safe in the Father's arms 4/24/06
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 07, 2005 10:12 pm

Wow! That sucks. That's not enough. Can't the doc write a letter to the insurance to make the Zofran available? My doctor offered, but it wasn't necessary as they approved it for me...guess my history or their protocol (United Healthcare) is to do meds before the hospital IVs.

Good luck with getting this sorted out.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Trudy » Jul 10, 2005 5:36 pm

Well I managed to see the chemist. It turns out that there has been some changes to the funding. A year ago only 6 tablets per month were covered, now its 12. So that's better for us. The 1 script a month only applies to the funding so if I'm paying for it then I can have more scripts in a month. We don't have insurance, its not used much in NZ as a lot of our health care is free, including all maternity care.

Now all I have to do is convince my midwife that she CAN give me an extra script a month. I feel so much better when i know that I won't be left without any Zofran.

Trudy
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Postby Kariinbliss » Jul 10, 2005 6:27 pm

Glad to see that you are going to get your Zofran!! Oh how I wish we had free maternity care here in the US!! Take care!
5x HG mom to:
Amy... born 1/20/92
Melissa... born 2/13/95
Alex... returned to heaven 6/20/05
Angel... watching from heaven 2/2/06
Peanut... safe in the Father's arms 4/24/06
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby jewelsglosenger » Aug 02, 2005 9:49 am

This is why I LOVE my doctor! My insurance just wanted to pay for one pill a day, however, I need 3 (8 mg) a day to keep me out of the hospital.....I still throw up and can't eat or drink on 3 a day, etc. Anyways, whenever the insurance says "no, we don't want to pay for it" my doctor tells them he's going to hospitalize me for 2 weeks then because I'm too sick and I'll need to go in without it. My insurance company is very quick to give me the zofran I need when he says that!

My husband needed some dental work done (breaking the jaw surgery), he's in dental school and one of his professors was going to do it for free, but you had to stay the night in the hospital one night. We asked the cost and they said the hospital charges $14,000 for one night stay. At least out here in Milwaukee. So I can imagine my insurance company would love to pay for the zofran over 14 days of $14,000 for my care!
jewelsglosenger

Postby kohlby » Aug 02, 2005 4:12 pm

Thank goodness you can get it, even if it's going to cost a lot.

I'm not sure how many my insurance covers. If I take it with Phenergan, I only need 8mg of Zofran a day. I started on 4mg tablets and they gave me 20. This month, I was given 11 8 mg tablets. It cost the same but will last me one more day than the 4mg and I'm splitting pills. I have no idea what I'll do if they don't cover more. I'm hoping it's just that I have to pay the $25 co-pay everytime. I'm hoping the worse is almost over and I can get by on just Phenergan if I do have to pay for the Zofran.

*It costs $400 for 11 8-mg pills without insurance here! But that lasts me 11 days at least. I can't imagine being one of those who needs the full 24mg a day. At least Phenergan is cheap. On these meds, I'm still too sick to leave the house. But I don't throw up anymore and have managed to stay out of the hospital. I don't think my dr. could argue with the insurance company very well yet since I have managed to stay out of the hospital.
kohlby
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies