PKU

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

PKU

Postby beachgirl » Jun 22, 2004 10:57 pm

PKU are not a problem for most -thanks for the info
Last edited by beachgirl on Aug 24, 2004 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
beachgirl

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 23, 2004 11:53 am

Hi, Laurie. I am so sorry about your first baby. :( Hugs to you.

As far as the Zofran goes, it has been the drug of choice for HG for years and we are not seeing any increases in birth defects. The place to check for the specific information you're asking about is Motherisk, a group that studies any and all medicines and chemicals for effects on babies. Their website is www.motherisk.org , and you can call or e-mail a question if you don't see what you need there.

There are many, many other options than those you tried last time. It's a matter of trial and error, but researching into possibilities now will make a big difference. How far along are you? Are you trying anything other than Zofran?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mammaclare » Jun 24, 2004 4:41 am

Lauri-

I am so sorry for the loss of your first baby. That is so tragic and I can't imagine the fears it must bring out in you.

As for PKU-or phenylketonuria-it is a specific disorder that is tested for at birth in every state. With that disorder, if the child consumes products containing phenylalanine (an enzyme that they can't process properly), they can develop mental retardation. However, I know of no way that a woman pregnant and consuming phenylalanine can affect a baby who may have PKU. If that were the case, then I imagine all pregnant women would be advised to watch labels on foods for the warnings directed at PKU's.

If you want reassurance call your pharmacist, doctor or both and discuss the issue, but from my own knowledge of human biology (and I am NOT a doctor!) it doesn't make sense that it can be risky.

That said, I also am pretty positive that if you need Zofran and ARE concerned about phenylalanine, you can try the regular pills or the IV formulation. It is probably something unique to the ODT tabs.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

zofran

Postby beachgirl » Jun 24, 2004 11:18 am

Thank you for the info.
beachgirl

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies