Does Pheregran take a while to work?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Does Pheregran take a while to work?

Postby kohlby » Jul 15, 2005 1:02 pm

I took my first pill two hours ago and still feel just as sick. Is this something that works better over time? If it doesn't work, then I'll call the dr. for a new prescription on Monday.

I'm concerned since I know I'm not drinking enough. I'm not capable. (I'm not eating anything, but that's the least of my concerns at this moment). I don't want to end up at the hospital since I can't drink enough.
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby dwtegli » Jul 15, 2005 1:06 pm

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I did want to welcome you and let you know that we are here for you. I know someone will be able to answer as soon as they can. I will say that if I remember correctly, when the Phenergan was actually working for me, it worked within the first hour. Of course that was suppositories.

((HUGS))
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Beth B » Jul 15, 2005 1:07 pm

It should take effect within a half hour or so if it's going to work for you. What dosage are you on? I believe there are both 12.5 mg and 25 mg tablets, and it's OK to try 2 tablets for 25 mg. if the 12.5 is what you have and it isn't working for you. If you're already dehydrated, though, it's going to be hard for any drug to really be effective. If you just can't drink enough, you may need a hospital visit for an IV; once you're rehydrated, you may be able to get some relief from the drugs. No fun, I know, and we can all sympathize, but sometimes it's the only option. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby kohlby » Jul 15, 2005 1:15 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I'm on the 25mg tablet.

I'm not in a dangerous hydration state right now, but it is hard for me to drink enough. I am not throwing up constantly, though I am gagging constantly. I threw up just twice yesterday but only managed to consume 24 oz of Sprite and a few bites of jello. So, though I'm not super hydrated, I'm far, far from hospitalization status. I was sick before yesterday but yesterday was the first day that I couldn't even drink. Lemon water was doing wonders before then. Now I have to laugh at any dietary morning sickness tricks. None of those tricks work at this stage.

I take one sip of Sprite or one bite of jello every 15 minutes, though I force it down. That's all I can handle. When I do throw up, I don't throw much up, so at least some of my liquids are staying down. (Guess that's one plus of ultra-slow drinking!)
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby Beth B » Jul 15, 2005 1:27 pm

I'm sure you've tried other liquids, and there are several ideas mentioned on a thread in the foodments folder (I'll try to find it and bump it up). Maybe you can find something else that works even better than Sprite?
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby kohlby » Jul 15, 2005 1:50 pm

Thanks for bumping it up, that way, I could avoid reading all those food titles. On another board, someone mentioned the limeades and slushees at Sonic. We have one nearby, so I'll have DH go get me one later. I tried popsicles and it didn't work. I tried watered down gatorage and it didn't work - but there are so many flavors out there that it's hard to know try them all hoping one will work.
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby BlueEeyore » Jul 15, 2005 3:10 pm

Kohlby, be really careful. My first HG pregnancy was terrible with nausea, but not so bad with actual throwing up. I couldn't eat or drink. Not even if I tried to force myself.

I went from feeling bad to feeling worse to being VERY dehydrated before I even realized it. And then, HG becomes harder to treat. The dehydration causes the production of ketones and the ketones make you nauseated. The more nauseated you get, the harder it is to drink and eat and then your ketones get higher. It's a nasty cycle.

If you haven't already, you might want to get some ketostix and pee on them daily to monitor your ketone levels. If you're getting above trace amts, you are getting dehydrated or aren't getting enough calories to sustain you.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby kohlby » Jul 17, 2005 8:34 am

Thanks for the idea Blue. It sounds like I should get those sticks.

It's been a couple days and I can now say that the medication is working, though not like I had hoped. I went from 300 calories in a day of fluids only and throwing up to about 1000 calories and not throwing up. About 80% of these calories are from fluids. I still feel sick all the time, but I can actually eat select foods. I can now manage more fluids than just Sprite too - like popcicles and Sonic's cherry lime-aide. I can finally eat foods and drinks that most people are able to when they're sick. This is a huge difference. Before I couldn't even eat one tiny bite of a saltine!

I was only given a three day supply of pills so I'll call the dr. tomorrow and ask if this med. is doing enough or if I need to try something different during the day. My first drs. appt is Thursday, so I'll be checked out then. After losing 5 pounds in two days, I've dropped to only losing a half of a pound in two days. Though this is great progress, I still worry that I'll slowly slip into dehydration or losing too much. I'm 5'1" and started at 108.5, I'm currently 103. Though this weight is currently fine, I really need to be careful that it doesn't drop much more.
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby elizabeth'smom » Jul 17, 2005 10:54 am

Hi, Kohlby. (It's lizmom from the other place!)

I just wanted to say that you don't have to be completely dehydrated to benefit from IV's. If you wait until you get totally dehydrated you will feel much worse. I'm doing home IV's every day, because I can hardly take in any liquid. It's much easier than trying to force down fluids.

(This is my second round of hg)
elizabeth'smom

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies