2 ?'s--colace and compazine

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

2 ?'s--colace and compazine

Postby alfiehenry » Jul 18, 2005 8:30 am

hiya ladies...

i have 2 quick questions for you--

1. does colace even work? i have been taking 2-3 100mg pills for about 6 weeks now and let me tell you: if they are helping, i think i would be dead if i quit taking them. TMI--maybe every 4th day i can plop out 8-12 steel gumballs but that's it. (i'm on it all--zofran, phenergan...been through reglan and now compazine...). So--if anyone has seen remarkable results with colace, please share!

2. can compazine cause depression? reglan did that to me--but it was a weird, sinking, dismal feeling. sort of like a tailspin and time is moving waaay slower and i just was feeling panicky--like 'oh my God, this is NEVER going to end...' my OB and i decided it wasn't worth it, so we bagged the reglan (wasn't helping this time around anyway). after 6 weeks of misery, she finally added compazine into the hopper (10mg tabs 4x/day) this past friday and by sunday afternoon, i was a mess--i actually slept for 2 hours sunday afternoon--after going to bed at 10 on saturday night & sleeping through until 9. felt all bottomed-out and down...anyone else have this with compazine?

i've ditched them regardless. was still hurling anyway--so now i'm back on the combo that's worked best for me so far: 8 mg zofranODT in the morning, 25mg phenergan tab at night (still throwing up between 2-6 times a day but this seems to work best for me).

thanks!
LB--

jack--05.19.04
little one due--02.01.06
alfiehenry
Been There Done That

Postby Carcully » Jul 18, 2005 4:02 pm

Hi,

You poor thing...HG is just the pits...and the constipation just makes it worse!

I am also taking Zofran and Phenergan. Even with 200-250 mg of Colace a day, I am still in misery (steel gumballs descibes it perfectly), much like you described. I do go every 2-3 days...but it's tremendously painful (had to start using Tucks and Preperation H--I know, TMI).

I'm not sure if anyone else has any better luck, or if this is as good as it gets with all the meds we're taking.

As far as the reaction to the Compazine...I was given Compazine when I was hospitalized at 6 weeks, and I didn't react well to it at all. I felt depressed, and EXTREMELY anxious...I remember lying in the bed at the hospital after they pumped me up with it, and I just wanted to get out of there!! It was terrible. They sent me home with it in pill form, and I was back at my doctors' office the next morrning, as it was doing nothing for the nausea/vomitting...and the anxiety was more than I could take. That's when they started the Prednisone, Zofran, and Phenergan. That was my experience with Compazine. Personally...I feel like the Phenergan worked better than Compazine or Reglan, and didn't make me jittery.

I hope you start feeling better soon! Hopefully you'll start to feel some relief in the next couple of weeks.
Bethany
Mommy to Carson Anthony (8-17-01) and...
Cullen Michael (12-18-05)Image
Carcully
Been There Done That

Postby mammaclare » Jul 18, 2005 10:19 pm

Okay so this won't help the gumball machine at all, but you are not taking nearly enough Zofran. I would try upping it to at least 3 of the 8mgs a day and see where you are.

Also, as for the poops. I called them my "marbles" (but I really liked steel gumballs--that is a perfect analogy). And I managed to suffer until delivery. Colace made me violently ill, so the only solution I had was FOODMENT a big bowl of raisin bran END FOODMENT every morning, which for some reason stayed down, and as much water as I could manage in a day. And glycerin suppositories, but they were pretty much a joke.

I think some women on here have had some success with Senekot.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby alfiehenry » Jul 19, 2005 1:29 pm

clare--i'm actually scared to upthe zofran b/c of constipation. while i'm still sick a few times a day with my current zofran/phenergan combo, i am still able to use the bathroom every 3-4 days or so. i know it's the zofran that's binding me up...the thought of upping the Z just scares me!
ha ha. the things we talk about...
:roll:
LB
alfiehenry
Been There Done That

Postby Beth B » Jul 19, 2005 7:37 pm

I actually didn't find that more Zofran made the constipation worse. It seems like having any in your system causes the problems, and adding more doesn't make things that much worse. Crazy!!
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby AmberWest » Jul 20, 2005 1:07 pm

Actually I think Beth is right.
I had a horrible experience of running out of zofran and had to reduce my dose and then ran out for a couple of days and it didn't make a bit of difference in the constipation zone. I take 8mg of zofran 3times a day myself and it isn't any worse than it was when it was only two times a day. I think it's just we so much as look at a packet of zofran and our bodies rebel and say oh no, no poops for you. `soup nazi impression`
Steel gumballs sums it up rather well. Unless you get to the point that it's a steel softball. In which case I just give up and cry.
I just got my colace today. I think I'll try 100mg 2 times a day a first just to make sure it won't make me ill. If that doesn't work I'll probably go up to 3 a day. The rasin bran sure didn't do a thing for me sadly.
AmberWest
Master of HG

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies