Does Zofran make you hungry?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Does Zofran make you hungry?

Postby kohlby » Jul 22, 2005 9:23 am

Or do I just feel so much better?

I was on Phenergan for a week and it helped immensly, though I still felt sick constantly. I took my first Zofran this morning, only 4mg. I've been up for only three hours and have consumed, one glass of water (my first water in two weeks!), 1/2 can of Sprite, a serving of jello, a dozen pieces of cereal, one scrambled egg (first in two weeks!), and a bagal!

I went for the toast first thing this morning and found I couldn't handle it. But I could handle water right away upon waking. And it just got better as time went on.

I'm not sure if my insurance puts limits on how much Zofran I can have, so I think I'll use my Phenergan at night and Zofran during the day to stretch it out. (I was given 20 4mg pills and only had to pay a $25 co-pay).
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby Beth B » Jul 22, 2005 12:21 pm

Definitely find out how many pills your insurance covers - many people find Zofran works best if they keep an even dose in their systems throught the day (and night). Reglan seems to make me hungry, but I never noticed that Zofran did - maybe it's just that you're feeling better? I'm so glad it's working for you!
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby HGx3 » Jul 22, 2005 1:46 pm

No, not typically. However, some hgers to experience bouts of general hunger in spite of the nausea/vomitting.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby AmberWest » Jul 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Kohlby,

I agree with the other ladies on the zofran issue. I would check and find how many you can have because when I was running out and waiting for my next month supply I became much more ill. If I'm even a bit late in taking it, ie: didn't wake up on time in the middle of the night I wake up feeling worse than I would have done if I'd taken my does on time and I'm doing 8mg every 8 hours.

However, I think it is WONDERFUL that you have mananged to eat and keep down so much today. :D I know that's probably a bit sad because a normal person seeing that list would think we were nuts. But I think you are doing a GREAT job on introducing food to your system again. Keep up the good work every moment you are able. Don't worry over the FOODMENT toast so much right now. Many women find they can't handle it for some reason, but can do well with bagels, or english muffins etc. Many do very well with a sweet roll of some sort and the sugar helps you feel a bit better too. ENDFOODMENT

Keep us posted. I'm really proud of you for getting those liquids AND soilds down.

Amber
AmberWest
Master of HG

Postby kohlby » Jul 25, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks for responding! I'm doing so much better on only 4 mg of Zofran twice a day, followed by 25mg of Phenergan for night. This way, I'm taking Phenergan when eating isn't an issue and I'm sleeping anyways. I looked up on my insurance page and couldn't find any limitations. However, a few years ago, I remember a different insurance company only paying for one prescription up to 30 days a month. If a dr. gave me two 2-week prescriptions, they wouldn't pay anything for the second one! I have almost enough Zofran to get to August. (1 pill shy since I need it first thing in the morning Aug. 1. I'll try just taking one pill one day and then struggling through the Phenergan. The Phenergan WILL keep me from throwing up, but not much more). I'll see if maybe my dr. will prescribe the 8mg pills for me so I can get more and split them.
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby AmberWest » Jul 26, 2005 1:09 pm

I'm very happy you are doing so well on the lower dose. That's a wonderful sign that you will make it through this! :D If you ever do find that you need more be sure to explain to your dr. the insurance issue re: these two week scripts. I had to do much the same and now they give me a months worth thankfully. And the 8mg idea is a good one. I know how expensive it is so getting them to last as long as possible is a very good plan.
Keep us posted and I hope you continue to do well. Well, good considering what you are suffering anyway.

`hugs`
Amber
AmberWest
Master of HG

Postby HGx3 » Jul 28, 2005 8:24 pm

WONDERFUL!!!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004