ZOFRAN PUMP

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Postby megs4413 » Aug 08, 2005 10:33 pm

I had a zofran pump for about 4 months during my pregnancy. Basically it is a portable IV that runs constantly all day long usually through a PICC line. It has to be maintained by home health nurses who come out usually twice a week to change the dressings and flush the line. This miracle SAVED me. it was the only thing that helped. Mine actually was set up as a PCA-patient controlled-analgesic; a brilliant idea by my peri. In this way it ran at a constant rate all day, but when I felt a wave of nausea or the urge to vomit I could press a button and get a "demand dose" of zofran to get a little extra help. They call it a PCA because they usually do this with narcotics so patients can get extra medicine when the pain is extra bad. It was the thing that saved my life---literally. I could go everywhere with it after a while when I had regained my strength on TPN. It is a lot of trouble to maintain the PICC and it is somewhat risky as far as infection, but for me it was totally worth it and got me back to living instead of dying. It's worth looking into for sure. HTH.
megs4413
HG Diva

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies