how long were you on Zofran?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

how long were you on Zofran?

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 02, 2005 11:31 pm

I'm wondering how long I'll be on the Zofran (24 mgs) since week 8, so thus far we have 15 weeks of Zofran at about $100/day (I have a small copay of 25/script). So far that's nearly 10 grand in Zofran :shock: :shock: holy mackerel!

How long were you all on? Just curious if most folks are on full term or if it's a short term thing. I think I'm looking at full term.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby kohlby » Aug 03, 2005 9:02 am

I expecting short term for me. I have read of some women needing it long term though.

I didn't have hypermesis with DS but was sick. I felt better by 11 weeks, so I'm hoping for a repeat! Also, my HG is responding very well to meds so I think it's a mild case. I still feel too sick to leave the house, but I'm no longer throwing up - at all! (I'm only taking 4mg of Zofran twice a day and 25mg of Phenergan 3-4 times a day). I'm hoping that because my HG is a milder case than some, that it will end sooner. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping!

*Also, I'm on progesterone for all of first trimester and I know this makes me feel more sick. Only three more weeks of that stuff!
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby nomore » Aug 03, 2005 10:36 am

I was on it till I delviered Madison. The dose was MUCH smaller though. I was down to 4 mgs every other day... although the last week I took it daily. I was still taking the IV version... I had the PICC in until 2 days after delivery. But, I vomited daily (in the morning) until delviery with her.... so I took it in the morning... during my worst time and I ususally made it through the rest of the day OK.

This time I know we will wean, but lets put it this way.... my DR was not willing to let my dose go back up if I needed it..... so this time, I will wean eventually, but make sure I have plenty should I need it. I know I would of felt better in my 3rd trimester before if I had slightly more zofran. this time I figure, why suffer????

But, I will add that right now my zofran (via sub q pump) and IV is covered at 100%. I prefer to stay on a version thats covered so well, as opposed to shelloing out tons of $ for pills.... I get 12 pills for $25... which we all know is plain stupid. Also, I find the pills and ODT to be not nearly as effective. I react and respond better to the IV version. And, my Dr does know this..... so well see what happens :)

Good luck with the zofran..... those co-pays have to hurt :(

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby _Laurie » Aug 03, 2005 2:18 pm

With my first pg, I was taking 16mg daily until 22 weeks. After that, I still vomited at least once a day, and only took Zofran on a really bad day.

With #2, I was on Zofran the entire pg. I think I tried to wean off of it around 24 weeks (because I was stupid. so 2 days without), but then had a relapse and ended up dehydrated again and not being able to keep anything at all down. Most of the time I was on 24mg (and 32 at the worst). I did wean down to 8-16mg daily by the end and still vomited at least once a day (more, of course at the beginning) until the day she was born.

Oh, if it were't for insurance companies, we'd be so broke... :roll:
Laurie
3HG pregnancies: 2 sweet girls 4/01, 4/03, and my twins 1/27/07

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.
-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 03, 2005 3:07 pm

I took it full term, but like Robin, it was a very small dose at the end. Only 4 mgs a day. Boy am I glad to almost be pooping normally again!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby sonie716 » Aug 04, 2005 7:12 am

I was on 8mg in the iv form with my picc line till about 8 months then i switched to 16mg on the tounge and did this till the day i delivered. I still had the picc line but did not need as much fluid but still needed the zofran. Mine was covered by insurance. I had to pay 12.00 every two weeks. I could handle that for how sick i was.
Casondra
Wife to Chris
Calvin 06/03 severe Hg
Angel in Glory 11/04
Catherine Moderate Hg 05/07
Carolynn Mild Hg 01/09
Chloe Mild Hg 03/10
Miscarriage 08/12
#5 due Aug 2013
sonie716
Been There Done That

Postby megs4413 » Aug 08, 2005 1:34 am

I was on zofran orally at 24 mg a day until 13 weeks when i got my PICC line and had it set up like a PCA (patient controlled analgesic) THIS WAS THE BEST THING EVER. It ended up being the only way i could survive. I got a steady stream all day long totalling 12 mg. but was able to push a demand dose button to get extra up to 24 mg in the whole day. I got my PICC out at about 26 weeks and continued the zofran orally at 24 mg until about 32 weeks when i went to 16 mg a day. I stayed on until I delivered. It was a huge financial burden at first but then I was able to get Medicaid to cover my copays. Have you thought about having it prior authorized for medical necessity? Some insurance companies will let you pay the lowest copay if you do that. Also if you do believe you'll be on it for the long haul you might consider some IV therapies or a PICC. It's much more maintenance but insurance covers ALL OF THAT. which i think is ridiculous because it's much more expensive than just covering it orally. You might be able to appeal this because of that very fact. There is one other thing you can try, though i'm not sure it will work. Oncologists and cancer centers have OODLES of zofran samples. My husband happened to be going through chemotherapy while i was pregnant and they were kind enough to let us have plenty of samples. You may consider having your doc contact oncologists in the area to see if they could spare some samples for you. I don't know if they can do that or not but it's worth a shot and these guys have TONS of it. Good luck and feel better!
megs4413
HG Diva

Postby Beth B » Aug 08, 2005 12:57 pm

I was off it by around 6 months with William and 7 months this time around. Still on the other meds, but at least they're cheaper... You know I totally sympathize with the pain of paying for Zofran!!
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby JennyK » Aug 08, 2005 5:28 pm

I was on it right to the end. In fact they gave it to me in my IV when I was in labor, but who could say whether that nausea and vomiting was from HG or labor. Probably both.

I tried to go off it a few times but always went back on.

Thank goodness you have a reasonable co-pay!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies