Generic Zofran

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Generic Zofran

Postby wannabemom » Jun 27, 2004 4:11 pm

Hi I'm curious if anyone has used it or heard of it. I'm sorry I can't remember what the nurse said it was called. I had a conversation with her and she said they are currently offering the generic version of Zofran which is less expensive I guess I was wondering if anyone has used it.
Aimee

2 time HG Survivor
Kristin 6/29/05
Brooklyn 11/20/06
wannabemom

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 28, 2004 1:58 pm

Well this would be the first I've heard that there is a generic available. Great news if it is! :D
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby mammaclare » Jun 28, 2004 9:17 pm

The generic for Zofran is pending approval. The generic name for the agent is ondansetron. The last I heard the generic maker who was picking up the compound was Dr. Reddy's Laboratories and that only a regular pill may be available starting sometime between July 04 and January 05. The drug company who makes Zofran (GSK) is arguing patent infringement (this is usual behavior when generics start to talk towards the end of a patented product lifecycle).

On the Dr. Reddy's website, the only information was a press release that they had applied to the FDA for a generic 16mg tablet and were being fought by GSK on thier initiative.

Hope that helps--whatever happens, ondansetron should be coming in generic form very soon. However, don't get too excited. Usually in generic launches, the price is barely less than the branded until there becomes some competition among a couple generic makers. This is usually at least a year or two out. However, for some with co-pays it will lower the co-pay right away.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 29, 2004 12:06 pm

Thanks for the update Clare!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby cthmschler » Jun 30, 2004 7:26 pm

It's about time!
When I was pregnant with Quentin (3+1/2 years ago!) the patient information from my pharmacy (Walgreens) said "Cost -saving generic coming soon!" The patient info still says the same thing this time, LOL. Guess pharmacy/drug company time runs differently than ours :roll:
Teresa
Mama to Micah Thomas (2-95), Noah Alexander (11-96), Quentin Louis (5-01), and (drum roll, please) Gabriel Ryan (7-04)
cthmschler
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies