Zofran babies- how are they doing in the long term?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Zofran babies- how are they doing in the long term?

Postby Juliepotpie » Aug 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Hello gals-
I am new to this site and I just started taking Zofran 4mg x 1 per day. I feel a tremendous amount of improvement. I am 7 weeks pg with baby #3. I have severe nausea but not the classic case of HG. My doctor reluctantly prescriped zofran and told me he doesn't believe in medication for nausea but would give me it at "my request." I couldn't imagine going on much longer because my days seemed unbearable when I would crawl from the couch to the toilet while my two busy little boys (4.5 and 6.5 yrs) ran around uncontrolably with not much compassion or cooperation. Hubby works long hours and my parents/siblings are not exactly close by just to pop over to spell me off. I suffered severe nausea with first two babies without treatment up until 22 weeks. I just felt like I couldn't endure it again.
I have read as much as is available about zofran and so far I have found no indication of great increase of birth defects. But I am concerned of the long term affects of the drug.
So ladies... how are your toddlers doing? Are zofran babies struggling in cognitive development? What challenges are your babies enduring if any?
All experiences are appreciated.

Julie
Juliepotpie

Postby nomore » Aug 05, 2005 1:43 pm

Julie,

My zofran baby is about 2.5 years old. She is a THRIVING, happy, healthy and EXTREMEY bright little girl :) (OK can you tell Im a proud Momma!)

She developmentally has always been ahead in both physcial (sitting, crawling & walking) and cognitive develpoment. She started talking before she was 1 and now at 2.5 years old knows 1000's of words.... she can hold on a coverstation like an adult.... and she NEVER shuts up... which I love.... but it does get tiring!

I was on zofran from week 7 until delivery. 24 mgs daily from weeks 7 until around 16, where we started weaning a bit. I was on zofran UNTIL I delievered though. She weighed in at 7lb 3 oz. A nice healthy size.

I am currenlty prego again with HG, and Im 14 weeks along today. I have been taking zofran since week 6. I got my zofran sub q pump around week 7, and I have been taking 28 mgs daily since. Also, I take phenergan and pecid (and I took both of these in my 1st pregnancy as well).

I know we all worry about the effects of meds on babies. But for those of us with HG, its either meds or a definete risk of maternal or fetal death.

I worry much less this time with my pregnancy about the drugs. This little one is growing on track.... and I just have to keep the faith that she/he will be OK.

Big Hugs. I am so sorry you are suffering right now.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Beth B » Aug 05, 2005 8:06 pm

I was on Zofran with William from around 6 weeks to 6 months. He's 2 1/2 now and doing great - perfectly normal physically, way ahead of his age with verbal and small motor skills. He was late with all his gross-motor milestones, but still within the normal range, and our doctor said it was because he focused his energies on the verbal and fine motor skills instead. He has eczema, allergies, and may have asthma, but all of those run in the family, so I don't think the Zofran had anything to do with them.
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby Trudy » Aug 06, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi Julie

My zofran baby is now 14 months. I was on zofran from week 6 to week 23. I can tell you she has got to be one of the brightest kids around. She is advanced in every area. Sometimes I thinks she's too clever. She is also very healthy. She talks and signs more words than I can count. Her 1st words were 'what's that?'. She was born a healthy 7lb 4oz. I gave up worrying about the meds ages ago, for me the cost of no treatment is too high and far worse.

All the best
Trudy
Trudy

3x HG Pregnancies
Abby and Laura went to heaven Oct 2002
Beth born 21 May 2004
Adam born 7th Feb 2006

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".
Trudy
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 06, 2005 4:45 pm

I took zofran from week 6 until delivery at 35 weeks (34mgs/day). My son is a bit small for his age (probably genetic) but otherwise he is doing great. He was right on schedule with his earlier milstones, but the last year, he has taken off way ahead of his little friends for language. A new interest of his is puzzles, and he can complete a brand new 24 piece puzzle in about 5 minutes, he can do 48 piece ones by himself as well. Not bad for 2 1/2 I think.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Juliepotpie » Aug 06, 2005 5:06 pm

I am so thankful to hear positive comments. And it sounds like you all have delightful children. Thank you, this really helps me and my husband have more peace of mind!
Julie
Reed 3/19/99
Dallin 1/22/01
baby #3 due 3/19/06
Juliepotpie

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 09, 2005 3:07 pm

I have 2 zofran babies.

The first is a healthy, happy 3 year old who is meeting or exceeding all her milestones.

The second was a zofran + steroids baby and she is a healthy, happy 6 month old and is so far meeting her milestones.

I was sick and on meds throughout both pregnancies and I took 24-32 mg a day.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby mammaclare » Aug 10, 2005 10:35 pm

Julie-

I also have a Zofran baby. 7 weeks to delivery for us, 32mgs/day at the worst and never lower than 12mg/day.

Rory counts to 10 (skips 1, 4 and 5 however, for no apparent reason!). He has a vocab in the hundreds, speaks in 3 word sentences and phrases, knows about 30 different animals on sight (ones even like leopard and such) AND their sounds, knows 10 colors (that one blows me away), and is a monkey that can climb anything.

No lasting effects AT ALL--from the malnutrition, the no vitamins, the weight loss, the meds, nothing.

Hang in there and try and let some of the guilt and worry go--it doesn't help anyone.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyK » Aug 22, 2005 3:37 pm

Julie, I just wanted to add to the list of healthy zofran babies. Annie will be 19 months tomorrow. She has been on target or ahead for all her milestones, has no allergies or medical problems. Her vocabulary recently exploded. One day we had a list of her words, and the next day she could suddenly say anything she wanted to. I was on zofran from 7 or 8 weeks until the end.

Also, I want to make sure you know you can SAFELY take up to 32 mgs a day. (I think some have taken even more without ill effect on the baby.) Maybe upping the dose would make you feel better yet!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby YankeeMomInVA » Aug 26, 2005 6:11 am

my zofran baby is 25 months old now.... happy, thriving, bright, funny..... perfect in every way :-) I took it for 8 months during my pg :-)

the damage that would be done WITHOUT the appropriate medications scared me far more than the miniscule chance of the drugs causing a problem.....

~Lauren
YankeeMomInVA

Postby HGx3 » Aug 26, 2005 7:45 pm

I have 3 zofran babies. A 4yo, a 3yo and a 15mth old. Zofran didnt really help me, but I took it anyway hoping it would :? . My kiddos are all fine so far.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 26, 2005 8:03 pm

Hi Julie,

I'm cooking a Zofran baby too. 24 mg/day since 8 weeks...I'm now 26 weeks and have not had any success weaning down even one dose. Looks like full term for me and Jack with the Zofran.

You doing okay? It's been about three weeks since your last post. Thinking of you.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Juliepotpie » Oct 24, 2005 7:58 pm

Hi all-

Thanks for all the support. I started out on Zofran at 6 weeks with just 4 mg per day. I did fine for just about the first half of the day and then by noon all I could do is just lay on the couch sick. My doctor didn't want to put me on a higher dose so I just stayed at 4 mg. Then by the time my 15 week appointment came around I had ran out of my perscription 3 days prior and I landed in the hospital on IV's. The ER doctor prescriped my 8 mg which worked for me and I only needed it 1 per day. So here I am at 19 weeks and I see my doctor again in 3 days. I started today to try and wean myself off the Zofran. From my past pregnancy experiences Iam usually over the severe sickness by 19/20 weeks. So far, today I feel normal. The only time I felt queasy was when I couldn't eat right away. I gagged in a Walmart parking lot after doing a few errands. Thank goodness I was just a few minutes from home. I was able to eat right away and felt better again. If I begin to slide downhill again, I have zofran on hand to take just in case.
Julie
Reed 3/19/99
Dallin 1/22/01
baby #3 due 3/19/06
Juliepotpie

Postby dwtegli » Oct 25, 2005 9:48 am

Julie,

glad you are feeling better, take it easy and don't overdo it or you will relapse.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies