Risks of Metoclopromide?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Risks of Metoclopromide?

Postby Mandapanda » Aug 06, 2005 6:44 am

Hi. I've just been put on Metoclopromide for the second time. Last time I was on it for 8 months on and off (mostly on) and my son was and is fine. This time, in preparation for preg. I tried a bit of research and on risks for Metoclopromide it says - "Is considered safe in pregnancy, but should only be used if benefits outweigh the risks". This is exactly what my doctor read out of his book too. So does anyone know what the "risks" are?? Or am I better off not knowing?
To be honest, I don't think I'd stop whatever the risks!
Mandapanda

Postby Kadinga » Aug 06, 2005 8:41 am

Hi Manda,

Metoclopramide was a big thing in my life last pg, too. I needed other stuff between weeks 10-16, but once I hit the 16 week mark it was my only drug. I tried going off it and had a major crash, so stayed on it right to the end.

According to my book "The Complete Home Guide to Medication" (how obsessive am I to own this? :oops: ) the precautions are:
* Use with caution in epilepsy, liver and kidney disease
* Lower doses required in elderly (I'm assuming this is not you! :wink: )
* Do not persist with medication if vomitting continues - see your doctor.
* DO NOT TAKE IF you are suffering from phaeochromocytoma. ( :? I guess you'd know what that is if you had it)

Side-effects are:
* Common: Drowsiness, restlessness, tiredness (sounds like pregnancy to me)
* Unusual: Sleeplessness, headache, dizziness, diarrhoea
* Severe but rare (stop medication and consult a doc): Incoordination, twitching, muscle spasms. (These are also listed as indications of overdose)

I've also read on this site that this drug will boost your milk supply.

Hope that helps. Other ladies may have other information.

Good luck, and keep checking in, we'd all like to know how you're going.

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby JennyK » Aug 22, 2005 3:41 pm

This reply is late, but I wanted to agree with Amanda that it is safe. Reglan is category B, which is my book means you shouldn't think twice about taking it if it helps. I think the main concern with Reglan is unpleasant side effects for the mom--not the affect on the baby.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Aug 26, 2005 7:42 pm

Late here too. I was a reglan junkie... No problems here. The only thing I had problems with was SEVERE anxiety attacks. I had to counter them with benadryl on occasion.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies