Anyone with elevated liver enzymes?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anyone with elevated liver enzymes?

Postby ufgatormom » Aug 12, 2005 11:20 pm

Hi,
I am 20 weeks pregnant. I have been taking Unisom since 5 weeks, Zofran since 5 weeks, and Protonix for the last month. I just weaned from Methylprednilosone last week. I also weaned from TPN about 5 weeks ago. My labs last week showed that my liver enzymes were elevated. My ALT and PHOSPORUS were elevated. Has anyone else had this problem? I am guessing it is the PROTONIX that raised my enzymes so I stopped it today. It was also probably the stress of TPN on my liver. Any thoughts??[/img]
ufgatormom

Postby nomore » Aug 13, 2005 10:37 am

During my 1st pregnancy, when I was on TPN, I had elevated liver enzymes too. Drs were not sure extactly what was causing it, and during one of my admissions, almost decided NOT to let me go home due to it.

Post pregnacny everything evened out. Your liver gets stressed during pregnnacy normally (your liver processes everything (like all of those extra horomones your body is producing), in addtion to the meds etc.

I dont have any magic cures for you, but just wanted to say, Ive been there. Post pregnancy you may want to consider a liver detox (not when BFing, if you plan to).

Best of luck to you.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby teddi » Aug 14, 2005 12:06 am

I don't have personal experience, but it would be a good hunch that it's related to the TPN and perhaps stopping the TPN (transitional effects?). Make sure your Drs keep an eye on you! Make sure they follow up.

I think Aimee (another member here) did have liver problems.... so maybe she can give some insight.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby ufgatormom » Aug 14, 2005 11:12 pm

Hi,
How long did the enzymes stay elevated? Did it last until delivery?
I am also having a ton of skipped heart beats. Boy, am I ready to deliver this baby!
Thanks
Erika
ufgatormom

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 15, 2005 9:05 am

My liver function tests were elevated only while on TPN. It turned out to be a reaction to the lipids in the TPN. It actually went away after fiddling with the TPN a bit. I got a consult with the gastroenterologist because of it, they did an ultrasound of my liver to look for gallstones and such.

Some people can get elevated liver tests just from having hyperemesis. Are you still vomiting a lot?

Do you mean Alkaline Phosphatase? It is always elevated in pregnancy.

I had a lot of skipped heartbeats at about 20 weeks. I was still on TPN, and getting weekly labs, and I started feeling my heart pound and flutter whenever I did something (like roll over in bed). When I checked my pulse, I could feel that my heartrate was dropping when this happened. I went for a regular visit and metioned it to my ob. It turned out I was having a very dangerous arrythmia because of a critically low potassium level (lower than the level that caused Terri Schiavo's brain damage) - it really freaked out all the doctors involved. I had been "stable" for weeks at that point, so we never could explain why it dropped like that. I met one other person who had problems with her potassium at about the same point in pg (maybe some weird, unkown pregnancy thing??) Definitely something to get checked out!!!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby ufgatormom » Aug 18, 2005 9:54 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a rough pregnancy too. I feel so sorry for women who have to go through HG. My ALT and my PHOS were elevated. Not the Alkaline Phosphatase. I just had my potassium checked and it was ok. I am still skipping beats so who knows what the heck is going on. I am not vomiting anymore!!! Miracle. The continuous vomiting stopped about 5 weeks ago. I only occasionally vomit now...usually if I miss a dose of meds. Mainly very nauseated 24 hours a day. I am taking Zofran, Unisom, and Prevacid to help me get through it. Also, eating is helping get rid of the nausea. Since getting off the TPN, I have been eating like a horse. I have gained 20 pounds in 6 weeks and I am only 21 weeks!!! That could be stressing my heart out. It can't be good for your body to go from eating absolutely nothing to eating everything in sight. I really can't help it. I feel sick an hour after I eat so I start eating again. So bizarre! I am very thankful though to be eating again!!!
ufgatormom

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies