let's give iron tabs to the constipated girl on Zofran

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

let's give iron tabs to the constipated girl on Zofran

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 20, 2005 6:58 pm

This is cruel. It's like some weird little game being played by the HG Fairy and her evil Pixie boyfriend....let's arrange for iron tabs for the pg girl who has been on a ton of Zofran for the last 5 months. Then they let out their evil laughs....

I'm testing anemic and am "trying" to do dietary stuff, but since I have HG, food choices are limited...well, you all know about that. So I'm on iron tabs, and my belly is not angry about it as I take them at night.

Now the problem, which will come as no surprise, Colace barely kept me going with the Zofran. Now it's like I'm going to burst my ear drums or crack a rib when I try to poop...and that's after two days :shock: .

Thinking I will need to be certified in poopology sooner rather than later as I'm apparently going to enjoy every option my colon has to offer. Imagine how scared I'll be of that first postpartum poop :shock: .

Lots of love,
Suzanne
Aspiring Poopologist
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm

Oh dear, you've got to be kidding me!!! Wet thoughts coming your way! Isn't there ANYTHING else they can do????
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby pixelmama » Sep 22, 2005 11:33 pm

This just happened to me, too. The nurse who called to tell me to add an iron supplement to my lovely cocktail of stool hardening meds suggested I also add Metamucil, on top of the colace I was already taking. So for three days I dutifully choked it down. That has got to be one of the most disgusting liquids known to womankind! On the fourth I just couldn't bear it and I went cold turkey. It's been three days so far and I seem to be no worse off (pooping-wise), but the jury's still out. I've promised my dh that if I ever need to spend four hours in the bathroom at one stretch again, I'll go back on the Metamucil.

All this is to say: I FEEL FOR YOU!!! Good luck! ~Lisa
pixelmama

Postby IslandDreamer » Sep 23, 2005 7:06 am

I found the same thing, surprisingly. No worse off in the pooping department...not sure how that can be, but I will accept it.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby BrandiJK » Sep 23, 2005 1:43 pm

:::::tossing the magic anit-jinx powder around the room::::: (better safe then sorry)
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby pumpkinhead » Sep 26, 2005 8:20 am

Oh poor lady :(. If you do end up having to take the tablets, you might try finding a 'timed release' kind. I've taken these in the past and they are much easier on the body than your standard iron tablet.
Jacob's Mama (08/26/02)
Kieran is here! 03/20/06
pumpkinhead
Been There Done That

Suggestion

Postby Bethers » Sep 28, 2005 9:03 am

Hey girl:

What worked finally for me were only 3 things:

1. Daily enemas: fun fun considering i had rectal surgery in 95 and all the scar tissue there that just felt great.

2. Fibercon but you go so much like you haven't gone in a month. Sorry to be gross.

3. Prune Juice. I had to plug my nose to take it and pretend it was something else as it's nauseating but it works too. Ish.
Bethers -Mom to Justin 1-9-96 HG hospitalized 40+. Mom to 2 angels 5-21-04 & 11-16-04. Will ttc in Feb 2006. 2 more Months OMG!!!rl=http://www.tickercentral.com]Image[/url]
Bethers
Been There Done That

Postby healthymommy » Dec 18, 2005 11:31 pm

There is a liquid iron supplement (if you can handle liquids now) called Floradix. You can look online or at a healthfood store. It is not constipating like taking a pill because the iron is better absorbed in a liquid . Less iron ends up in your intestines.

Foodment***
If you like dried apricots (try getting organic without sulphur), they can help things along nicely.

I remember the Zofran "marbles"! Just remember not to strain or sit too long there. If nothing is coming out, get up an do something else :)
Cristina
HG Survivor!
PG1 Keli Lalita 7-27-2004 water home birth
Preparing for HG
healthymommy
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies