Phenergan tolerance

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Phenergan tolerance

Postby Beth B » Aug 28, 2005 8:06 pm

I've been on Phenergan for about 7 months; the drowsiness wore off after the first days, and I've been fine with it ever since. I'm trying to wean off now - I hadn't taken a pill in 2 or 3 days but needed one today. And my tolerance was gone - it made me SO drowsy. On a day when all my in-laws were here! So be forewarned, anyone else in similar circumstances! :-)
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 28, 2005 9:29 pm

Oh drat. Sorry to hear the sleepies came back. I had an IV dose at 13 weeks in the ER (it had been a year since I had any) and man, I felt absolutely stoned and passed out :lol: ...not cool with a young one around. But good information to share with others.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

What's the Phenergan Story?

Postby shana » Sep 07, 2005 8:28 am

Hi there,

I'd really like to hear about more Phenergan experiences. My dr. is very reluctant to give Zofran (I live in Israel and the hg treatment, when it can be found, is generally very, very conservative). However, he is willing to give Phenergan. Has it helped anyone. I am a pretty severe hg sufferer. I am already on Diclectin (only now in my 5th week) as a prophylactic measure, but am terrified things are going to escalate fast.

Happy to hear any thoughts.

Shana
3 children
5hg pregnancis
2 terminations
shana

Postby nomore » Sep 07, 2005 8:35 am

Im on phenergan to. I do 2 suppositories during the day, and I am past the sleepy effect. I still get one dose via IV at night.

I find it helps, but without the zofran isnt enough for me. :( But, thats just me! Seems we all have differnent meds that are good for us.

Beth- thanks for the heads up on the sleepiness .

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby kohlby » Sep 07, 2005 10:27 am

I'm still on Phenergan (and Zofran), but did notice a side effect when I cut down the Phenergan. I was taking 3 25mg pills a day. I'm now down to only 1-1.5 pills a day of the Phenergan. I get awful headaches when I cut down. I cut my pills in half and take half at a time. My dr. told me to drink caffiene to help.
kohlby
Been There Done That

Postby Beth B » Sep 07, 2005 1:31 pm

I don't know if Phenergan alone would have done it for me - I was also on Zofran and Reglan. I got off the Zofran first, then the Reglan, and finally the Phenergan - it definitely did help me.
Beth

Mom to 2 HG babies:
William 12/02
Thomas 9/05
Beth B
Opinionated HGer

Postby Guest » Sep 07, 2005 3:18 pm

I was on phenergan and zofran my whole pregnancy but at 23 weeks I weened myself off the phenergan. The drowsy affect only lasted about 4 days for me - except when I was in the hospital and recieved it through the IV. It always seemed to knock me out then. I loved my zofran b/c I didnt experience any negative side effects at all.

Postby traceyjs » Sep 09, 2005 8:52 am

Hi

I am also on 25mg of promethezine three times daily; I am now 13 weeks pregnant and the hg is mild/moderate. At first I found that it completely knocked me out...I don't much remember how it affected me first time around as the hg was so severe that I don't think I'd have been much bothered even if you had shot me down dead!!!!!!

However this last two weeks I have found that whilst I'm tired, I am unable to sleep and spend allnight tossing and turning! I have been signed off work for 7 weeks now (usually work full time) and think perhaps that could be causing the restlessness at night? I do also think that because I have been lucky enough to rest (even with my three year old daughter in tow...I have a very supportive mum and partner)...that has helped the hg this time around.

Anyway, I would be interested to see if anyone else is experiencing hyper activity at night time and thinks it might be down to the phenergen?

Hugs to everyone
Tracey
Mummy to Jessica Jayne born 13/02/2002 (hg from 5 weeks)
traceyjs

Postby HelenA » Sep 09, 2005 12:47 pm

I was on phenergan for the last 3 months of my pregnancy and it did wonders for me! My HG hit at 8 weeks so I had 5 months where I was trying various different combinations. We don't have zofran here, however( :oops: ) my friend who gave birth when I was about 4 months gone did send me hers that she didn't use up, (she lives in the US) and it worked while I had it. But it was the phenergan that really did the trick, 3 x 25mg a day with a Vit B6 supplement.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

phenergan is working so far

Postby petsparkle » Oct 10, 2005 7:24 pm

hi Shana,

I am only at 7 weeks and I feel your pain! My doctor won't give me anything else because it isn't stocked in our military hospital pharmacy (they hardly carry anything!) So far it has been okay. I feel queazy when I take it (oral) but it does seem to help. I am still incredibly nauseas, but I am not throwing up nearly as much.

It does still knock me out, so driving is an issue and it has been difficult with my job, but it is worth a try. If it doesn't work for you, then you can return to your doctor and tell them you need something else. Often you just have to jump through the hoops and show that it doesn't work before they are allowed to prescribe something different. They initially told me all I could have was Emetrol (like that would ever work!)

I hope you are able to get some relief. It is really horrible, particularly in these early stages when everyone thinks it is just morning sickness and you should eat saltine crackers and toughen up.

You'll get through it though. I have found everyone here to be so supportive, it more than makes up for the lack of understanding from my family, co-workers, etc.

Take care,

Lissa
petsparkle

Postby poutyangel » Oct 13, 2005 6:33 pm

I am on phenergan as well and it has been awesome. Im doing 25 mg 4x daily. They also gave me some suppositories of some called Teegan or something like that. I think I used then once and I havent used then again. With my first daughter I had hg and just suffered until the 5th month when I had lost about 35 lbs and finally I was medicated after checking into the hospital. I was so weak and sick I couldnt shower,walk,or wash my hair. After the seventh month all symptoms just disappeared.

I thought maybe this time I would be spared hg but sure enough it was bad. I think I lost 21 lbs this time but I knew what it was so I was able to see my Dr. and immediately get meds. I was super drowsy for about a week, but just the fact that I could actually drink a sip of water without making a mad dash for the toilet is worth it. Some days I feel good and then I may forget a pill,but when that feeling hits :shock: I know I have to run and take one.
Mom to
*Hailey 6-28-00*
*Regan 4-10-06*
poutyangel
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies