Prescription assistance?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Prescription assistance?

Postby kalindyjune » Sep 15, 2005 12:38 am

Anybody know of any assistance to help pay for zofran? I have prescription coverage so I am having a hard time finding help paying for it. It is just sooooo darn expensive...I swear I didn't pay this much in my first two pregnancies.
Veteran HG fighter
Kaylyn 12/23/2001
Ashley 6/6/2004
Baby #3 due April 2006
kalindyjune

Postby mammaclare » Sep 15, 2005 11:32 pm

I can tell you a couple of things about existing RX assistance from the drug companies. First, we use Zofran "off-label" for HG--this means that HG is not an approved indication for Zofran use. Also, Zofran is indicated short term, not chronically. So, drug companies can't afford the liability of providing free or reduced cost on drugs that are being used in ways not approved by the FDA. Secondly, RX assistance is for those people with NO prescription coverage, so you wouldn't really qualify anyway.

Wish I had better news. Someone here had good luck w/ large quantities through mail order and that cut co-pays for her a LOT.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby kalindyjune » Sep 16, 2005 9:53 am

I know about it being off label and it being hard to find help if you have prescription coverage. Mail order is really not cheaper for me. My doctor is going to give me shots 3 times a week so I don't have to take my pills those days. But, there are a lot of random foundations out there that help people in these kinds of situations. So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has found one that will help with this.
One day I'm going to be filthy rich and I'm going to actually pay for treatment for hg for other women. It just costs sooooo much to pay for treatment.
Veteran HG fighter
Kaylyn 12/23/2001
Ashley 6/6/2004
Baby #3 due April 2006
kalindyjune

Postby BrandiJK » Sep 16, 2005 11:15 am

I don't know about your area, but it seems like the first place to start is by calling your county, or talk with your care providors social services department. I sure hope you can find some help!

I am blessed with the fact that a little zofran works wonders for me, so my doc. gave me a large perscription of 8mg pills that I can cut in half. I have enough for a month, and that is saving me a HUGE amount of $$.

Good luck! If I come up with anything else I will let you know.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies