Paxil

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Paxil

Postby mdeban » Sep 28, 2005 10:42 am

I just read that the FDA has linked paxil and birth defects.. Grr I started paxil a couple weeks ago. I am pretty freaked out.
Megan
Cole 4-14-04 (deletion 22Q13)
Mackenzie 01-02-06
Angel May 2006
Ella April 11, 2007
mdeban
Opinionated HGer

Postby Mishelly » Nov 13, 2005 6:11 am

I've been taking Paxil for two yrs. I'm scared. The doc wants to wean me off it and put me on prozac but it's hard to be weaned of Paxil. I missed two doses and I got really dizzy, depressed and had bad anxiety attacks. I wish they would of told me this before I got pregnant. I did ask them! and they said it's find to take Paxil while pregnant. Liars.
ImageImageImage
Mishelly
Been There Done That

Oh I hear ya

Postby kcmjpm23 » Nov 15, 2005 6:51 am

This news was heartbreaking.

I'm on Paxil too. My fertility doc and primary says oh it's up to you whether to go off of it. My OB/GYN says stay on it at the same level. It stinks. Great eh? Scared the pants off of me last week. We so carefully researched this before trying for another.

I weaned down to 20mgs and am at 7 weeks since LMP.
But I feel so awful due to tummy that I think messing iwth Paxil right now is bad bad idea. I just worry I won't be able to take it at some point.

Kelly
kcmjpm23

Paxil

Postby Babbo » Feb 01, 2006 12:54 am

Ask your doctors about Zoloft. I took it the entire time I was pregnant with daughter and had no problems whatsoever from it. I don't know too much about Paxil but my doc told me that Zoloft has some of the least chances of causing birth defects. Good luck!
Babbo:

Proud Navy wife to FC1 Jamie Hough
Brett (4-11-00)
Emily (5-16-05)

You are not alone in the battle with HG!
Babbo

Paxil and Zofran

Postby Terri » Feb 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I took Paxil a few years ago (not while pregnant), and also had a terrible time when I stopped taking it. I was nauseous and dizzy for MONTHS, and didn't realize at the time that it was because of the Paxil.

My neurologist (I have fibromyalgia and get migraines about 2x per month) started me on another SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, like Paxil) called Cymbalta last year, and I have been unable to stop taking it, as well. I have lowered the dose substantially, though, without the queasiness.

This is my second HG pregnancy, and the very first prescription my midwife gave me was for Zofran. And THIS is what I wanted to write about: I took the Zofran (don't remember the dosage) for two days at the very onset of HG and became suicidal.

Typically, I don't spend my days wanting to drive off a cliff, so I was concerned. And this is different than "I feel so cr*ppy I want to die". THAT I think, is a more normal feeling to have occasionally when one has HG. This was more like "Oh it would be so easy to drive into the oncoming traffic." So I stopped taking the Zofran and did a little reading on it.

Zofran works by BLOCKING Serotonin. But the SSRI's work by INCREASING Serotonin levels. So it's a catch-22 there.

I haven't read anywhere here about others having such problems with Zofran and have been wondering whether it's just me? Have any of you experienced anything like this?

~~Terri
Terri
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies