Zophran weaning

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Zophran weaning

Postby ann » Oct 01, 2005 2:05 pm

Hi,
I am 15 weeks pregnant and have been on Zophran (8mg 3xday) since 8 weeks. I've had a bumpy ride with the Zophran because I on occasion I would try to get by without taking it as frequently, and then I would suffer... The label indicates that one can take it "as needed" but I found that it wasn't that easy. Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyway, I'm happy to report that I feel that the nausea between meals is subsiding, and I that I can safely wean off the Zophran. Can anyone share their experience doing so? Also, does anyone else get headaches from it -- not sure if I get them from taking the Zophran or trying to get off it?
Thanks
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 01, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi Ann,

I, too, had a terrible time weaning off Zofran and finally gave up...too many bad days followed the days I reduced from 8 mg 3x/day (like your dose). I have resigned myself to a lifetime, I mean, the rest of the pregnancy on Zofran. Sigh.

And yes, I've heard some women get headaches after a while on Zofran. I've not had too many problems with that, so I guess that's why I decided to give up the weaning experiments.

It really does become a risk/benefit analysis. If the headaches get to be too much and can't be soothed, then maybe a different med can be tried?

Hope you feel better very soon.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Zofran weaning experiments

Postby ann » Oct 02, 2005 3:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Suzanne. Your term "weaning experiments" is EXACTLY correct. I feel as if I'm being subjected to this tortuous drug experiment--and I'm the evil scientist!

I guess it just comes down to the fact that I have mixed emotions about taking the prescription drugs, even though, intellectually, I know that I must. So I try to get by without taking it as often as I should, and then suffer through the bad days. I'm disappointed that I can't just have a "normal" pregnancy without the misery and the need for drugs. I live with this fear that the Zofran is going to cause birth defects, and yet also fear what happens when I don't take it...

Thanks for your empathy and support.
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 02, 2005 3:42 pm

Hi Ann,

If it's any comfort, our genetic counselor was not worried in the least about the Zofran...or the other million things I'm on. Now I'm not a PollyAnna and can't promise our babies won't have some strange unknown long term thing happen...no one knows the answer to that. (Please know I'm not saying this to be scary...just want to be honest about my own concerns, too.) But our ability to stay hydrated and live is critical, and there are no known birth risks with Zofran.

It really is a guilt we have to live with, isn't it? I'm right now debating if I can risk Jack going through Prozac withdrawal or stop at 36 weeks and risk getting postpartum psychosis. Not a fun analysis.

Motherisk is a great resource. Call the NVP line for some comfort and information. I am actually going to put in a call tomorrow for max doses on the OTC drugs to post here. Here's the pukeline :wink: : 1 800 436 8477.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby ann » Oct 03, 2005 8:32 am

Thanks for the puke line number! I'm encouraged by the fact that a genetic counselor, who presumably sees many more people than I know on Zofran, is not concerned about its potential for genetic defects. I have one friend who took it 3X/day (sometime more on bad days) for eight-nine months through two pregnancies. Her girls are perfectly healthy, and even above-average in cognitive skills, so I should not be so anxious about it. I'm back on the Zofran (at least 1X day) for the time being...
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby rjdecker » Oct 03, 2005 10:18 am

Ann,

I only took zofran for a little while b/c it didn't help me, but when I did take it, I got terrible headaches with it. So bad I would just sit and hold my head and cry and cry. Almost worse than a migraine.

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 03, 2005 11:47 am

I have had headaches w/ this pg anyway, so I don't know if zofran has caused them. But I am beginning to 'test' weaning myself off the meds. Sort of a test run.

So Ann, you have company!!! Hopefully we won't be miserable together. I am, however, on a lower dose then you. Don't know how much of a difference that makes.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby ann » Oct 06, 2005 3:24 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies. Yesterday, my doc lowered the Zofran dose to 4mg...we'll see how that experiment goes. I am also on a steady diet of Tylenol for the killer headaches...don't know if that is helping, but they tell me there is nothing else I can take for headache pain. ???

I spent Tuesday am at the hospital getting IV-hydration and Phenergan (just made me sleep) because I had been up all night with head-splitting pain and vomiting. I blame the Zofran, but it could have also been dehydration, who-knows...

Thanks for listening, and sharing your experiences too. I'm glad I have you to talk to
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Ann, maybe instead of weaning off the zofran, you should attempt another medication?

I was weaning, stopped now. Apparently it was the zofran that was helping after all, and I had thought it was no longer working!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Zofran weaning

Postby healthymommy » Dec 18, 2005 11:49 pm

Hi Ann,

How are you feeling now?
I started taking 8 mg sublingual Zofran tabs twice a day at 8 weeks. I too had that same desire to get off it as soon as possible because I just didnt want to have to depend on a drug to feel better. Im one of those crunchy vegetarian natural moms who just didnt want to trust the normal medical establishment. But then there was a lesson for me to learn to accept help from others when it is really needed but had a hard time with that because I was (am :) )a control freak! :)
So it took me until 5 1/2 months into my pregnancy to be weaned completely. Every week I would try to decrease it...2 tabs, then 1.5,then 1 one day and 1.5 the next, then just 1 a day all the way until I was spliting the pill into 4 pieces with my fingernail and just taking a piece when I felt I needed it.
I think the final weaning off it is kinda scary and at the same time liberating.
Good luck on your weaning adventures in Zofran land!
Cristina
Cristina
HG Survivor!
PG1 Keli Lalita 7-27-2004 water home birth
Preparing for HG
healthymommy
Welcomed Friend

Postby Terri » Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm

rjdecker wrote:Ann,

I only took zofran for a little while b/c it didn't help me, but when I did take it, I got terrible headaches with it. So bad I would just sit and hold my head and cry and cry. Almost worse than a migraine.

Jenny

Oh, there's NOTHING worse than a migraine. That's the end of the line there. Except: having a migraine and throwing up and having the HG at the same time. "Okay, I have migraine medication, but will it cause birth defects? And could I keep it down if I took it? And what happens if I take the migraine medication with the anti-nausea medication? Oh! Somebody just shoot me!"

Good times. :wink:
Terri
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies