Remeron instead of Zofran and Prozac?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Remeron instead of Zofran and Prozac?

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 02, 2005 3:44 pm

Anyone? I have some concerns about the elevated risk of some symptoms at birth and would like to get off Prozac, but I'm way too afraid of PPD to go without anything.

Advice?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby ann » Oct 03, 2005 8:47 am

Suzanne,
I can't weigh in on the specific medication question because my PPD was unfortunately never treated. I suffered with PPD and an extremely irritable/colic baby (she behaved the way I felt during HG!). I just want to weigh in on the general idea that you must take care of yourself first. You are wise to treat the PPD proactively with medication. I have every intention of doing so this time because I never want to suffer like that again...

For me, the miserable baby experience was horrible, but, in hindsight, the PPD was far more debilitating, in degree and over time. With the benefit of hindsight, I now believe that an otherwise healthy baby will get through it. Its the mom, especially after the HG ordeal, who will have the harder time of it--and that's not good for baby, either. Again, you are wise to take care of yourself first...hang in there!
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 03, 2005 9:01 am

I don't think there is much info at all on Remeron in pg or breastfeeding. I think it's greatest benefit for us would be the effect on nausea. I've heard fatigue and sleepiness is a major side effect, sounds nice for the middle of hg when you'd rather sleep the time away, but might be a problem postpartum.

Lot's of info out there on prozac though.

You could talk to these people about your questions/concerns http://www.otispregnancy.org/

Here's some info on Prozac (they don't have one on Remeron, I think there just isn't enough info to write one)

http://otispregnancy.org/pdf/prozac.pdf
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby jjbeck » Oct 03, 2005 10:04 am

HI Suzanne. I was on remeron w/ my pregnancy w/ Ava. I took it in hopes to not have to take zofran or zoloft... being that it helps w/ both mood and n&v.
I don't kow how helpful it was for me. I was never able to get off of the zofran, as far as mood... not sure if I took it long enough and my anxiety never escelated to the point of a real depression or ppd. I did however have an incredible amount of wt gain and some edema from it from the remeron. It also seemed to have exacerbated the bp issues I developed during the preg.
Last I knew, mother risk was stydying remeron. I was a part of that study.

Good luck.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies