Meds aren't helping....advice?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Meds aren't helping....advice?

Postby SusanB » Oct 04, 2005 9:48 am

I tried the unisom/B6 combo...just made me fall asleep

Dr prescribed 4 mg zofran every 8 hours (but I have really only been getting 2 doses in b/c the 3rd dose is after I go to bed)....that barely makes a difference....today I didnt even bother taking it b/c I wont take meds that arent helping

I cant function....I cant take care of my kids....they are missing out on ballet/play groups etc b/c I cant take them.....something has got to help

Dr is having me come in tomorrow to discuss meds (and a pain Ive been having) but I honestly dont think I can drive there

Im not vomiting a lot...I just feel on the verge (and fight it) non stop and cant eat or drink much at all. Ive been forcing gatorade b/c I could tell I was getting dehydrated...

Any advice? Im getting desperate! This is my 4th pregnancy and the morning sickness has progressively gotten worse each time
SusanB

Postby dwtegli » Oct 04, 2005 9:52 am

Susan,
Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy.

As for the meds, you can go up to 32 mg of Zofran a day and it works best when taken on a schedule, yes, that means setting an alarm so you take it during the night. It also works best if you are well hydrated. Combining the b6/unisom also works for some. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right combination of meds and dosages that will work the best. Good luck and please keep us updated.

PS, how far along are you?
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby SusanB » Oct 04, 2005 11:58 am

well I gave in and took 4 mg of zofran at noon...I think it is helping some, but only lasts about 2 hours or so

Im almost 7 weeks along now..started feeling sick before my period was even late....shoulda known this one was gonna kick my butt lol

Im going to ask the Dr about either doing the 4 mg more often, or upping to the 8 mg...Im just worried about constipation (already have a problem with that when Im not pregnant and when I am able to eat foods with fiber).....the zofran and poor food choices will only make this worse

also worry about becoming dependant on the zofran (and having insurance not pay for it or something)

Im also really dizzy...not sure if that is from the meds or from the HG (I dont think Im dehydrated)
SusanB

Postby dwtegli » Oct 04, 2005 12:09 pm

Constipation is a very common problem with the zofran. Make sure you take colace daily (3 pills a day is the max). It may take some extraordinary measures to get started, but the colace should help. There a couple of posts on here about just this topic with the different things that have worked for people.

Yes, the zofran is expensive, I definitely hear you there. I don't know what to advise about that. My husband's response was always, but it works so we will find a way to pay for it (thank god for credit cards).

I know there are other options, take a look around the medications folder and I think there is a list of meds on the forum somewhere that you can possibly print out and take to your doc. The more information you have, the better it is. I know when I first tried the zofran, the doctor said to take it as needed and it didn't work at all. It wasn't until I found this site and learned that it works best when taken on a rigid schedule that it started working.

How much fluids have you been able to keep down, you could very well be just starting to get dehydrated. If you can, have someone pick up some ketone sticks from the pharmacy and test to see if you are dehydrated.

Good luck,
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Oct 05, 2005 8:40 pm

Sounds like you've definitely got to up the Zofran, Susan. As Wendy said, 32 mg/day is standard during the worst of it; if your insurance co is paying now, they will accept the higher dosage as long as your doctor prescribes it. But remember that no med will work if you're not well hydrated, so check those fluids and ask for rehydration if you need it.

Unisom/B6 works best on mild HG. Once your body starts to progress to more severe HG, the effects drop off. I stopped the Unisom when it stopped having effect and instead added meclizine to my Zofran. (I kept the B6 because that really is important). You may find that combing the Zofran with another med is what you need as HG progresses--and you're still getting to the rough part. And yes, get that alarm clock out and wake yourself up every 4 or 6 hours for those meds! Good luck.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby SusanB » Oct 06, 2005 8:13 am

Went to the Dr yesterday (DH had to drive me!). Saw a new guy but it worked out ok...he upped my zofran from 4 mg 3xday to 8 mg 4xday (I may actually try it just 3xday since I am getting headaches a little on the 4 mg dose....plus it'll make the meds last more days).....only got 5 days worth though so I hope insurance continues to pay

plus he gave me phenergan suppositories to use at night

I feel so guilty using meds but I was ready to die without them....

Dr told me that all the m/s will be gone by 12 weeks...I just laughed at him and told him that even my regular m/s (not the HG) lasted at least 13 weeks lol
SusanB

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 06, 2005 11:15 am

Susan, try the upped zofran and give it a few days before judging how it works. I think it has to build up in your system a bit. I know upping mine helped a LOT. Some people don't get much from zofran, and if you end up in this group there are other options. But it looks like you gone some help from zofran, so my guess is it will help you.

Don't feel guilty for taking meds. My vomiting was somewhat controlable w/ this pg. However, I still lost 30 pounds (which I have yet to gain back) and had enough IV's to still feel the sting on the wrists. That consistant nausea is overwhelming and just as crippling. You need the meds, even if it is just to get in enough food to keep going. (I hate gateraide now from forcing it in. Blech! I don't think I'll ever drink it again, but I have been there!)

As for your kids activities, I wish you luck. I feel like I have really dropped the ball w/ mine and decided that it is ok. (Most days I've decided it is ok). But I have a hard enough time keeping up with them here at home, much less out and running around. I have to lie down after homework time, sheesh, I don't know how I'd be driving them all over the place. Don't push yourself. Do only what you can handle. The kids will survive and catch up later. They certainly won't get very far w/ mom ending up in a chair w/ IV's hooked to her. Check w/ other moms in their after school activities, be honest about your health, and see if anyone is willing to help out w/ rides.

As for it ending at 12 weeks...well, it sounds like you know that answer! But, even when the Hg hangs on 'til the end, it does somehow get more managable. I don't know if it lightens up (though I like to think of it this way) or if we just get used to it...but it does seem to get more managable.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby ann » Oct 06, 2005 3:08 pm

Hi Susan,
Zofran worked for me, and I hope it works for you. I took 8mg/3X day. On especially bad days, I even took a 4th dose before bed so that I could keep down a little something in my stomach for the night. (I'd always take it first thing in the am). It allowed me to keep down three meals a day. My advice is to make the most of that opportunity and choose the best foods you can, like a FOODMENT protein, fruit, veggie, and fluids, fluids, fluids END FOODMENT.

I am now at 16 weeks and have decreased my Zofran to 4mg as needed. I don't have the nausea between meals, but nor do I have any appetite. The Zofran at least gives me reassurance that the meals will stay down.

I did have a love-hate relationship with Zofran, though, because it also gave me killer headaches. I also suffered through some bad weaning experiments. In hindsight, I would have been in touch with my doc more about adjusting the dose. I'm currently on a steady diet of Tylenol which may help with the headaches (??) and, again, fluids, fluids, fluids.

I hope my experience--and mistakes--can help you... Let us know who you are doing. All the best
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies