For those who Zofran did NOT work

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

For those who Zofran did NOT work

Postby CLD1234 » Oct 05, 2005 6:07 pm

There was an interesting article in the health section of my local paper saying that the human body actually has two brains; one at the top of the spinal cord and a hidden but powerful brain in the gut known as the enteric nervous system. It makes for very interesting reading on how in some people too much serotonin is dumped into the gut which in turn causes the nausea and vomiting. I am one of the few people that took Zofran and it didn't touch the nausea and vomiting I had with HG and according to what I've read Zofran works by adding or replacing missing Serotonin which helps most people with the nausea and vomiting. I am now wondering if myself and others react the opposite in response to taking Zofran; meaning we react by becoming even more nauseous instead of finding relief due to the increased Serotonin. My understanding after reading this is that I would probably benefit from taking a medication that inhibits Serotonin such as Remeron/Mirtazapine. I am going to start researching this theory and see what I can come up with. Anyone interested in reading this article here is the link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... brain.html
CLD1234

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies