Anyone else gag/vomit their Zofran ODT?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Anyone else gag/vomit their Zofran ODT?

Postby kmomto6 » Oct 11, 2005 12:40 pm

Subject line says it all. I gag on my Zofran ODT and about half the time vomit and I'm afraid I'm washing the Zofran out when I do it. I ran out of Zofran this weekend and I had *thought* it wasn't making much of a difference so I didn't have dh run out and get a refill. BIG MISTAKE. I had an awful, terrible, horrible day yesterday and had dh get the Zofran last night but here I am puking it up this morning. Does it come in a pill? I can keep enough down if I stay on top of it to keep a pill down.
I'm just 8 weeks. It's going to be a long haul to the holidays (I usually stay sick until 18 weeks or so)

Karen
mom to six
#7 due in May
kmomto6
Opinionated HGer

Postby RebeccaM » Oct 12, 2005 1:03 am

Hi Karen! Sorry you're feeling so terrible. I totally know about the Zofran relapse. Many women have gone through that. I don't know how many times I tried to go cold turkey with my first pg and it was a HUGE mistake every time.

To answer your question, Zofran definitely comes in a pill. Funny though because I had just the opposite problem. I would vomit the pill and water EVERY time so I had to use the ODT, which I always managed without vomitting. But if you can keep the water down the pill would probably work great for you. Sounds like you definitely need the Zofran. Just ask your doc about it. I hope it helps you feel better.

(btw-I just noticed you are expecting #7. :shock: Wow! You're amazing to got through this so many times)
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby jenna » Oct 17, 2005 6:13 pm

I've been there too . . . I'm usually able to choke it down and not vomit, but what I'v found helps is to have enough saliva (or H2O) in my tounge when I put the ODT in my mouth and then hold it there until disolved and wash it down with a mouthful of water. Seems to be the trick for me - hope it's of some help to you. Good luck -- Jenna
jenna

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 19, 2005 9:56 am

Oh ya!!!! I take it vaginally :shock: on the really bad days. Doc seemed to think that's okay...shocking, but okay.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby AmberWest » Oct 24, 2005 10:12 pm

I'm with Suzanne on this one for sure. She mentioned the vaginal suggestion awhile ago and if it weren't for her I'd NEVER had been able to keep mine down. I to this day still do it that way because I never know what's going to be a puke day or not and I need my zofran in my system. I asked my dr. too and she said it was a brilliant idea and would be suggesting it to other patients who were having problems keep it down.
AmberWest
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 25, 2005 11:11 am

Brilliant for sure!!!! We'll have to be sure Aimee sees this post and knows how brilliant her idea is. She is the one to thank for the idea...I just think I'm the first active HGer to take up the suggestion.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby ColoradoMelissa » Oct 25, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi,
I am just back onlne after almost two months during which just looking at the computer screen made me vomit ( I suppose that pretty much anything made me vomit, really). I was having an absolutely horrible time with the ODTs at the beginning of this pg - even before the worst of my HG hit. Just thinking abou the taste makes me gag now. Anyway, I tried to take the pills, but it got to the point where I couldn't keep down the liquid necessary to swallow them. I ended up in the hospital for a couple of weeks - no fun at all, but the end result was that I got a zofran pump. It works either through a PICC or central line intravenously or subcutaneously, usually on the thigh or hip - picture a diabetic's insulin pump. Not only did I not have to worry about somehow ingesting the zofran, but it also kept me from experiencing those peaks and valleys as my zofran levels ebbed and flowed on pills or odts. They pulled my central line last week, so I have been back on pills for a 9 days now. It is working ok - I am almost 17 weeks and through the worst of my HG. Anyway, the pump seems drastic, but it got me through my worst weeks - I wish I had known about it with my first pg. It is worth researching further or bringing up with your doc.
Good luck to you - I know you can do this. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was feeling oh so very dark, but it already seems far away.
Melissa
Mom to Will 11/11/03
#2 due early April 2006
HG Survivor
ColoradoMelissa

Postby SusanB » Oct 26, 2005 3:13 pm

I either swish up a bunch of saliva in my mouth and toss the pill int (melts instantly this way) then take a swig of water
or
I put it under my tongue

I have to hold my breath though b.c the taste makes me gag
SusanB

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies