Suppositories burning (Phenergan)

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Suppositories burning (Phenergan)

Postby petsparkle » Oct 15, 2005 5:10 pm

Okay, this is icky. I have never used a suppository before. After another trip to the ER, they gave me Phenergan suppositories instead of the oral version I had been trying to take (and throwing up). So I followed the instructions and it burned so bad! Is this normal? I was in excrutiating pain. I am loathe to try it again, but I need something to work. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I just overreacting?
petsparkle

Postby Atsie » Oct 15, 2005 8:33 pm

I am not sure if it is normal or not, but i had some burning with the gravol ones. Did you put on enough lubrication? Maybe it scratched you up some? You could call the pharmacy, they might know for sure.
Guess now this pg really is a pain the a**! :wink: That was the joke around here with the gravol supp!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 15, 2005 8:41 pm

I have read the burning is pretty normal. I didn't get the burning, but they didn't work for me.

Someone posted once they were able to take some vaginally, because she could not handle the burning. Call your doc and see if that is a possibility. Don't know if you have to have different ones for that or not.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby petsparkle » Oct 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Well, I tried it again and it was just as bad so I am going to talk to my OB tomorrow (first indoc appointment) and see if they will put me on oral Zofran. They gave me that in my IV and it really seemed to help so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice!

Lissa
petsparkle

Postby HGx3 » Oct 17, 2005 9:48 am

I know I am chiming in late, but burning is normal for most people. There are very few that do not experience discomfort from the burn of phenergan.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby mdeban » Oct 17, 2005 10:56 am

I take the phenegren sp, vaginally. My doctor told me to since I couldnt handle it any other way.
Megan
Cole 4-14-04 (deletion 22Q13)
Mackenzie 01-02-06
Angel May 2006
Ella April 11, 2007
mdeban
Opinionated HGer

Postby HGx3 » Oct 17, 2005 12:44 pm

mdeban wrote:I take the phenegren sp, vaginally. My doctor told me to since I couldnt handle it any other way.
I have heard this before. I think Suzanne took her Zofran ODT via this method. It totally trips me out, because I had never heard that you could do that. I thought I had done EVERYTHING you could do for hg.........obviously not,lol.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby nomore » Oct 17, 2005 3:52 pm

I dont really get the burn anymore...... my tush must just have no feeling left in it :lol:

But seroiusly, and this will be way too MUCH TMI, so I apolgize....

I am 24 weeks now and have been taking them since I was 6 weeks.. in addition to zofran. I put on a latex glove, take a little (NOT TOO MUCH, or it actually burn more) vaseline. I then lubriacate just the opening of my tush. And, slide the phernergan in. I then take my index finger and push the suppository up AS FAR as I can get it to go. Yes, I seroiusly wish I didnt have such an intimate relationship with my @ss :wink:

I have honeslty found it burns MUCH less this way. If I use too much vaseline, it "slides" back down and burns even more. If I dont push it up as far, it burns as well, and I spend a good 30 min feeling like I need to go to the bathroom BADLY.

The key to being able to do this successfully is being relaxed.... it wasnt easy at first.... but (hmm was that an intended pun???? :wink: ) its gotten a lot easier.

Best of luck though with whatever med you find to help you!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Oct 17, 2005 3:55 pm

rdevine10 wrote:I dont really get the burn anymore...... my tush must just have no feeling left in it :lol:

But seroiusly, and this will be way too MUCH TMI, so I apolgize....

I am 24 weeks now and have been taking them since I was 6 weeks.. in addition to zofran. I put on a latex glove, take a little (NOT TOO MUCH, or it actually burn more) vaseline. I then lubriacate just the opening of my tush. And, slide the phernergan in. I then take my index finger and push the suppository up AS FAR as I can get it to go. Yes, I seroiusly wish I didnt have such an intimate relationship with my @ss :wink:

Robin

ROFLMAO!!!! :lol: That is funny Robin.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby nomore » Oct 17, 2005 4:13 pm

Lisa-

Always here to keep us amuzed :) If you cant joke about, you just want to cry! :)
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies