AHHH STUPID STUPID dr......opinions needed PLEASE!

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

AHHH STUPID STUPID dr......opinions needed PLEASE!

Postby SusanB » Oct 23, 2005 3:21 pm

Im so mad! I am on Zofran (24 mg a day). Was RXed 32 mg a day but cut back due to headaches (not sure if they were from the zofran or not)....anyway....I have only gone to the bathroom twice in the last month (TMI *** but once was about 2 little marbles...the other time was about 4)..

Last time I went to the bathroom was 16 days ago. (to which the Dr said he highly doubted that...he essentially called me a LIAR!!!! UGH!!!)

Ive tried prunes, oatmeal, colace and milk of magnesia....I am eating 3 times a day but its been mostly cereal, sandwiches, bagels etc...nothing too fiberous because Im SERIOUSLY nauseous 24/7 (to the point I havent been able to get out of bed for more than a few minutes for the past 4 weeks)

TMI****today the M.O.M hasnt made me go but I am having some problems with watery stool leaking out (which is a sign of impaction...my son just went through this over the summer). So I call the Dr who tells me a) Im fine ....b)the MOM needs more time to work and to take 4tbsp every 12 hours (yeah ok, I can barely get the crud down!)....and c)I should go off the zofran b/c its better to throw up than be constipated!!!!! (his words!)

So I asked him how he'd go about stopping the zofran (which I cant imagine doing b/c its the only reason Ive gotten any food or drink in me) and he said take 2 tomorrow and 1 the next day and then stop. If I was going to stop I would think I should do it more gradually, kwim?

I dont know what to do....I think I'll call the other OB tomorrow and get her opinion...but in the meantime, do you think an enema would help? I dont think I can stomach more MOM and Im having horrible stomach pains
SusanB

Postby Atsie » Oct 23, 2005 3:55 pm

Wow!!!! What a jerk!!! I personally would not cut down on the Zofran. But you do need to get something for the poop issue! You could try a gylcerin suppository or an enema. You might be past the help of the supp though. I would do it tonight. After an enema the week has to get better right???? :wink: Even just to help yourself feel better.

How much Colace are you taking? I have to give applause for getting the MOM into you. Wow, you are a very tough lady! :wink:
Alot of women around here have had the same problems so they will reply soon with what else could work.
Let us know!
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby SusanB » Oct 23, 2005 4:25 pm

Thanks so much for replying Erin.....I was literally in tears after getting off the phone with the Dr (this is the same one I got in a fight with during my last pregnancy b/c he said there was no point in doing prenatal testing if you arent going to abort...ugh....anyway)

I cant swallow the colace very well (they get stuck) so Ive only taken them a handful of times....but this is the second time Ive taken the MOM (did 2tbsp the first time....4tbsp this time but had to fight to keep it down). I told DH I may send him out to get me an enema....I have no idea how to give one to myself though lol
SusanB

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 23, 2005 6:33 pm

I had great success with Senekot, then an enema in order to help the "cork" out.

I had one BM the whole month of July 2002, so I can understand your pain!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 23, 2005 7:29 pm

Susan!!! It's like readin my own story! I have gotten to the point of exlax that does little, glyserian help the next day. Though today, a glyserian did NOTHING!! Enima is my next step as well, this is so painful.

I have talked back and forth w/ Dh about going off zofran. But the only reason I can keep up is because of the zofran. <GRRRRR>

I do recommend going very slowly!!!

(And I understand eating more! It just backs it up more, kwim)
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby ann » Oct 24, 2005 8:26 am

Susan,
I have been on Zofran and also suffered the headaches and constipation. I've had headaches so intense and long-lasting that they caused MORE vomiting/dehydration. Same with the constipation. Yet, when I tried to wean off the Zofran (several times), it was always a disaster.

What I eventually decided was to continue taking the Zofran to get meals down, but reduce the dosage to 4mg each time. If I thought I could get a meal down without it at all, I'd try it, but never with the intention of quitting completely. Eventually, I got to the point where I would take the Zofran "as needed" to eat when I otherwise couldn't. The headaches went away first. I still have constipation, but its somewhat better than it was. I do not reccommend quitting the Zofran altogether.

As for the constipation, you need immediate relief right now, so I would defer to someone with experience with enemas, suppositories, etc. After you get yourself cleaned out--and you definitely need to do that because its probably causing you more nausea/vommiting/pain--then consider the following daily maintenance which has me counteract the Zofran-constipation connection:

First, when you take the Zofran, try your hardest to eat REALLY HIGH FIBER FOODS and fluids, fluids, fluids. Despite the headaches and constipation, Zofran saved me from the downward spiral of weight loss and more agony, so I tried to think of it as a tool to eat the foods that I could NEVER otherwise eat, and that means high fiber. Also, take Metamucil as much as possible (I'll drink it while on Zofran just to get it down). MOM never worked for me. Also, I take the max dose of colace (3 100mg tabs/day). If I skip any of the above on any given day, I'm backed up.

I hope you find some combination of things that work for you...hang in there!
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

hi

Postby Bethers » Oct 24, 2005 1:43 pm

That dr is a jerk!! Big time. I did enemas. They suck but somewhat work. You basically have to lay on your side and I was told to use vaseline to help it in. I know Tmi. But i know that pain I was taking Gas X for it. I have IBS on top of it. Once it starts working you will have to run to the bathroom. It doesn't always do a lot of relief but some is better then none. At the end i did Fibercon and Crangrape juice that started working for me. My new dr. okayed it for the next pregnancy but I would check with a dr. on it. Hopefully something will work for you. Soon!
Bethers -Mom to Justin 1-9-96 HG hospitalized 40+. Mom to 2 angels 5-21-04 & 11-16-04. Will ttc in Feb 2006. 2 more Months OMG!!!rl=http://www.tickercentral.com]Image[/url]
Bethers
Been There Done That

Postby Atsie » Oct 24, 2005 4:46 pm

At work when we do enemas on clients we do them in the bathroom. If you lay down a bunch of towels and get comfy it is easier then running to the batroom, clecnching like you never have before!!!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Juliepotpie » Oct 24, 2005 8:25 pm

Hi-

I was just on 4 mg per day then I was put on 8 mg of Zofran per day and I had constipation that was also unbearable. I took MOM to help but I gagged on it. I did suppostitories only if I could get it up there. Here is what helped me a little bit when I had the urge to go, and could only pass a marble or two. As I sat on the toilet I would stretch my legs out spread eagle like or lunge style and twist my lower torso as I pushed so it almost felt like I was making the muscles holding the poop to move or squeeze it out from the twisting. Think of it like Yoga on the toilet!! I don't know if this makes sense or not, but it helped when I was really stuck. Also I would massage the area right up near the anus ( I wouldn't get too close) and that seemed to help move the poop out too.
This is totally unreal talking to strangers about how I pooped but I've never known constipation like this. I have spent lots of time on the toilet just to have 1 single poop and stained over it. So I understand how painful it is!
Julie
Reed 3/19/99
Dallin 1/22/01
baby #3 due 3/19/06
Juliepotpie

Postby SusanB » Oct 24, 2005 8:33 pm

I took the 4 tbsp of MOM yesterday morning and still nothing....

tried a suppository tonight...nothing

It doesnt even feel like there is something in there ready to come out...it feels like its all up higher in my intestines etc if that makes any sense...

I ate a bunch of oatmeal cookies yesterday and today and normally that would make me go a lot....but nothing....sigh

tomorrow I think Im resorting to the enema
SusanB

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 24, 2005 10:08 pm

Susan, sounds like it. I hope you get some relief soon!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby Becky77 » Oct 24, 2005 11:25 pm

Susan,

I've had to use several enemas to get things going every so often. They really aren't that bad and they do help. I was just SO happy to have something really come out. I wouldn't say that they cleaned me out completely, however they moved enough stuff to give some relief and take away my fear of impaction. The last time I used one, about a week ago, it really got things moving and I've been OK since. It might take awhile for your sytem to get it all out. I feel your pain and am thinking about you. Oh, do the enema in the bathroom like the others said. You'll be glad you did! Good luck.

Becky
Becky77
Been There Done That

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies