Magnesium Citrate

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Magnesium Citrate

Postby SusanB » Oct 25, 2005 4:36 pm

I decided to try this instead of the enema b/c I think the back up is too high for the enema to help

So, the bottle says to drink 1/2 to 1 bottle of MC and 8 oz of water.....should I drink 1/2 the bottle of the whole thing?
SusanB

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 25, 2005 5:50 pm

I would start small and work your way up, since you don't know how your body will react to it.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 25, 2005 6:55 pm

Like Brandi says, start small. For me, I was slow to respond and ended up with the whole bottle in me...24 hours later it was a sight to behold as I ran for the toilet. Actually had the opposite problem for a few hours, which wasn't too bad in hindsight.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby SusanB » Oct 26, 2005 1:11 pm

ok waaaay TMI ......................

I drank 1/2 bottle this a.m. Same thing is going on that happened with the MOM.....I get horrible abdominal cramps then when I go to the bathroom all I get is like a very teeny bit (like a teaspoon) of the runs. There has to be something in there blocking everything from coming out....how do I get it out? this is just sad lol

Will call the Dr again before they leave for the day
SusanB

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 26, 2005 1:14 pm

I'd say, for sure, call your doc.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 26, 2005 2:12 pm

Oh drat. I'm sorry it is not breaking through the poo blockage. Definitely time to call the doc. I'm sorry.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 26, 2005 2:22 pm

Susan, how long as it been for you now? Please let us know what your doc says.

I think, along with so many aspects of HG, this is another they just don't take seriously. Wishing you luck!
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby SusanB » Oct 26, 2005 3:06 pm

ok....its been 5 1/2 hours and the magnesium citrate has done nothing except cause icky cramps. I just spoke with the nurse again (very nice luckily) and she said to try a second dose of mag.cit and see if it works. She said to call back later if it doesnt work (I asked who was on call and its the same $%*#@ Dr as the other day so I'll hold off til tomorrow morning and call the office)
She said not to use the enema yet b/c she didnt know if the Dr would let me do that.

***FOODMENT****She also said to try and drink some warm tea ....yuck, no way I can drink anything warm....yuck

Im really hoping the second dose does something. I also find it very odd that the nurses at both offices (the Drs run out of 2 and I had to call both to see where my chart was) took me seriously yet the one Dr tells me Im fine.....ugh

ETA: its been 19 days since Ive had a BM...and the one I did have was seriously a few marbles...and then 12 days before that...so I know there is stuff in there lol
Thanks for listening everyone :)
SusanB

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Susan, I am on a warm kick, so I drink a lot of tea.

It doesn't do all that much. But baths help the cramping. I am so sorry!
BrandiJK
Master of HG

MC

Postby Mooksy » Oct 27, 2005 9:30 am

hi,
Stick with the MC. My doc said to start off taking 1 ounce at a time as it's pretty strong...but like others I don't think he was taking the prob as seriously as it was effecting me. So I took about 3 ounces o/n then again the next day...it took a few days and then I felt completely normal! No runs but normal! After 5 weeks of enema nightmare it was great. Now a take a few sips every couple of nights. I haven't had any major cramping. I'm definitely on the MC band-wagon. Hang in there for those who are still waiting.
Mooksy

Postby ann » Oct 27, 2005 2:00 pm

Stupid question: is MC available over the counter?
Good luck, Susan. We're all rootin' poopin' for ya!
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Postby IslandDreamer » Nov 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Susan,

Any poo yet? It takes the magnesium citrate about 24 hours to work for me...then life is a crazy toilet frenzy for a bit. But, gee, the blissed out feeling of post-poo relief...sigh... :wink:

Ann,
You can get Magnesium Citrate over the counter...little green bottles of "citrus flavored" (whatever :roll: ) stuff.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby SusanB » Nov 01, 2005 3:17 pm

yes! I posted under a new topic.....what finally did the trick? Was it all the different meds? NO

it was..... ****FOODMENT*****

Quaker Oat Squares cereal!!! lol
SusanB

Postby ann » Nov 02, 2005 9:20 am

Thanks for the scoop on MC. I asked my ob about it, and she rec'd drinking only 1/2 bottle and then waiting for a "little bit." I suspect that, like everything with HG, its going to require the full-on dose AND alot more time! MOM did nothing. I currently take the max dose of colace and still poop rocks. I will tried anything...even the FOODMENT Quaker Oatmeal Squares END FOODMENT. Hope you are feeling better, Susan!
Ann
ann
Welcomed Friend

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies