Update and question on enemas

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Update and question on enemas

Postby SusanB » Oct 27, 2005 11:54 am

update.....

still nothing from the magnesium citrate....called the Dr today and he told me to:

--do an enema (today only)
--take colace twice a day
--take MOM once a day

He wants me to do this everyday until my next appt on 11/7

I dont know if I can stomach all the meds right now (especially since I cut back to 2 zofran a day)

Question on the enema.....it says it will produce a BM in 2-5 minutes, but I think I remember reading on here to try and hold it in for 30 minutes to get the full effect....is that right?
thanks
SusanB

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 27, 2005 12:07 pm

I never read that, everything I read said that it takes about 2 minutes to work. I can't imagine holding it in for 30!

I am sorry nothing yet. I have been thinking of you. One week in enough to make me insane, you must be miserable.

Someone said that cutting back on the zofran didn't make much of a difference. I can't tell if it has made a difference w/ me as of yet, or if it is that I am mostly on a liquid diet now (due to the zofran downage).
We have been talking about this in second tri. You may want to come and read our experiments on decreasing the zofran.

In the mean time, I hope, hope, hope you get some relief soon. You must be miserable.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby SusanB » Oct 27, 2005 12:14 pm

Thanks Brandi

I actually just feel really run down right now...all this medicine is taking its toll....I was hoping to just stop trying to anything for a day or 2 and then try something else but the Dr doesnt want me to wait (which is funny (NOT) since both the male Drs havent taken me seriously until now)

I actually told the nice nurse today about the one Dr essentially calling me a liar....not that I expect her to do anything but I figure it would help to have someone there know how he treats people, kwim

oh and 2 minutes sounds a lot better than 30 LOL
SusanB

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Oh, i forgot to add...colace. First off, use the real stuff, not the generic. I had been using the generic until a nurse said to get the real stuff. Then I found suzannes post about the generic not being the same, and boy was she right. I have lost a great deal of cramping due to switching to the real thing. And be sure to take one in the morning and one at night, so it's more of a continual flow.
I have, however, discovered that my belly does not like the colace in the morning (nights and early mornings are my worst times). So I take a zofran, then take the colace like an hour later. Other wise I vomit. I think it is the red dye in the gel tab.

Hope that helps some. I bet you are run down. Hope you get some rest soon. Once this clears, you deserve a super power nap!
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby Becky77 » Oct 27, 2005 3:17 pm

I think it would be impossible to hold the enema for 30 minutes! After two or three minutes I am sprinting to the toilet. They say to hold it as long as you can, but 30 is a really long time! Just go when you REALLY have to!

Becky
Becky77
Been There Done That

Postby Atsie » Oct 27, 2005 9:23 pm

For the enemas I have given we lay the clients (left side??) on the plynth (adult change table) in the bathroom, gave the enema and then assisted them with holding thier cheeks together as long as possible. The Dr has said the longer you can manage to keep it in the better/higher it will work. I have seen great results for 10 minutes of clenching. That being said, TMI, I can barely keep a supp in so this would be so difficult for me.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby BrandiJK » Oct 28, 2005 11:56 am

That being said, TMI, I can barely keep a supp in so this would be so difficult for me.

Right there with ya sister!!!!
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies