Going off Zofran

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Going off Zofran

Postby mrsbigdog » Nov 01, 2005 9:17 pm

Ok, I've got a question hopefully someone can answer. It looks like I'll be taking Zofran all the way through to delivery. Maybe I could stop but I'm really afraid to try and my dr seems to feel the same way - better safe than sorry. Last time I missed a dose it was obvious I still needed it so I haven't tried reducing it. My insurance is covering the pills with my co-pay being $20 for a 15 day supply and I'd rather pay $40 a month to make certain I'm not vomiting.

My questions is for someone who used Zofran all the way through. How & when did you stop? Cold turkey immediately after delivery or did you slowly reduce the dosage over a few days to make it a more gradual deal?

I do have a great dr and I haven't discussed this with him yet but thought I'd get some input from others who've been there so I have some background before talking to him.

Thanks
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby sonie716 » Nov 02, 2005 7:40 am

I also had a picc line in till I delivered and they removed it just before I left the hospital. I stopped my zofran the day before I went it. I had a scheduled induction. I figured if I needed something in the hospital they would give it to me.
Casondra
Wife to Chris
Calvin 06/03 severe Hg
Angel in Glory 11/04
Catherine Moderate Hg 05/07
Carolynn Mild Hg 01/09
Chloe Mild Hg 03/10
Miscarriage 08/12
#5 due Aug 2013
sonie716
Been There Done That

Postby dwtegli » Nov 02, 2005 3:22 pm

I took my last Zofran the day before I had my son. I was only taking one a day by that point though.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby mostafit » Nov 06, 2005 3:56 pm

I took zofran all the way to the end, but titrated my dose down gradually after about week 20 -- By the end of the pg I was taking about 4 mg in the morning and that was enough to get me through. Of course everyone is different. I kept trying to go off completely, because I was so scared of hurting the baby with the meds, but about 1-2 hours after my missed dose I would start vomitting. Ugh. Anyways, I found that a gradual reduction worked.

Everyone is different, but I went off cold turkey and after that baby came out, I felt great (at least nausea-wise).

Also, for all those moms who are nervous about negative effects of zofran (I was) to reassure you, I now have an amazingly beautiful 7-1/2 month old daughter who is crawling across the rug right now. She has the most wonderful little happy dispoition, too. IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!!!
mostafit

Postby nomore » Nov 06, 2005 7:12 pm

With my 1st I took my last dose of zofran the day before I delviered as well. The morning I delivered, I woke up with seeing spots floating ALL over the place.... DRs office wanted to see me immediatley (I had already been showing several signs of Pre-e... higher BP, protien in urine, etc) and I didnt have time to take the zofran (I was still doing it IV via my PICC at that point). I figured I would ask for some at the hospital if I needed it.... but I was OK.

With my 2nd pregancy, I contnued to take the zofran for 2 days after the D & C..... before the D& C I was doing IV, post D & C I took the pill maybe 3 times???? Then I was Ok without it.

Im not sure how this time will go.... Im still on 28 mgs a day and 75 mgs of phergan at 27 weeks... never been on this many meds at the end... so we will see... my experience was last time I delviered that I didnt even MISS the meds.... I felt so darm good after the placenta was delievered.... that I asked for food... and it was the first time in MANY months I had asked to eat.... instead of DH constantly asking me to.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyK » Nov 07, 2005 10:35 am

My last dose of zofran was given in my IV while I was in labor. Never needed it after that. A few hours after delivery I was asking for so much food that the nurses had to keep ordering more from the cafeteria for me.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby mammaclare » Nov 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Ditto what the other mommas said...

I was on 16mgs a day at the end (2mg every 3 hrs--weird dosing but it was what worked), took one or two during labor I think and then NADA. NO issues whatsoever and I even had DH bring extra food in to the hospital as they weren't giving me nearly enough. I also made lists of what I wanted to eat and basically ate my way through my first 6 weeks as if I was on a mission--woudn't recommend that strategy, as it netted me a GAIN after delivery!
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies