Deep breathing and yoga..former sceptic

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Deep breathing and yoga..former sceptic

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Nov 04, 2005 4:29 am

It is truly amazing how a few meditation and yoga courses during this hg pregnancy have truly helped me! I breathe deeply when I'm nauseous, and do some of the breathing exercises, and it helps a whole lot! People have touted the benefits of yoga, meditation and breathing to me for years. I was sure it wouldn't work for me, although I did believe that it could work for others. I didn't have the patience, and also felt it was somewhat overrated. After all, I breathed, every day, and it didn't help much! Hehe! I've since learned that it's all about how one breathes, practicing deep breathing, and learning how to use it as a healing tool.
It's really been a help to me. Of course, it doesn't take all the discomfort away at all times, but it helps significantly. YAY! And I feel like I'm doing something so good for the baby, too, by taking deep breaths filled with lots of oxygen. It's good for circulation too.
The yoga and meditation have been great too. I'm in a different frame of mind than I was in the beginning of the pregnancy, thanks to a great 5 day course I took with a group of hippie-type folks here in Norway. It was very normal and down-to-Earth though. I'm not quite into new age stuff, so this was perfect.

Sarah in Norway
Due January 15, 2006
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby BrandiJK » Nov 04, 2005 11:48 am

I have heard that lots of people have had some relief w/ yoga. I love yoga, when I can do it in quiet and peace anyway. Back yoga has saved me more times then I could count.
However, HG said "no way" for me. I would go into a vomiting fit :( Glad it worked for you. Hope more people are lucky like you!!!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby nomore » Nov 04, 2005 12:23 pm

Sara-

As I recall, there was a gal who posted in this folder that got relief from certain yoga positions. She claimed it really helped with her nausea! I personaly havent tried while prego.... although Im might now be at a point where I could.... it was never an option for me in the past due to lack of energy/stregth and simply just being too sick to move.

Good luck!!!! I hope the yoga contines to help!!!!!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyK » Nov 04, 2005 6:04 pm

I was the one who posted that a certain yoga position helped me. I don't know what it's called, but lie on your back and run your legs straight up the wall hip-distance apart with a bolster pillow under your butt. It helped me more than zofran. When my instructor announced this position helped with nausea I thought "whatever!" to myself, but it really did work for me. I spent many hours at home in this position with numb feet from all the blood running downwards for so long! I would love to know if anyone else has tried it and whether or not it helped them.

The breathing helped me too. I'm not normally into that type of thing either, but breathing exercises got me through a lot of moments of intense nausea, IV pokes and labor!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies